Kevin
Kevin, Licensed Electrical Contractor
Experience:  30 years Licensed Electrical Contractor in Illinois, Adjunct College Electrical Instructor, Former Electrical Inspector, Diploma: Digital Electronics, FCC Technician License
71008832

I have a circuit breaker connected to my dryer that will not

Customer Question

I have a circuit breaker connected to my dryer that will not reset.
JA: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?
Customer: I have unplugged the dryer... it is the only thing on this particular breaker... breaker tripped and so I went out and turned it all the way off... when I put it back into the on position it snaps over, but will not stay in the on, it just sits in the middle loosely...
JA: OK got it. Last thing — Electricians generally expect a deposit of about $18 to help with your type of question (you only pay if satisfied). Now I'm going to take you to a page to place a secure deposit with JustAnswer. Don't worry, this chat is saved. After that, we will finish helping you.
Category: Electrical
Expert:  Kevin replied 1 year ago.
Hello and welcome to Just Answer. My name is ***** ***** I will be happy to assist you with your electrical question. 1) Is the dryer an electric dryer? If so, is the breaker a 30 amp double pole breaker? 2) Does your main electrical panel contain any other working 30 amp double pole breakers? 3) Have you firmly tried to reset the breaker by completely turning it to the OFF position and then back to the ON position and the breaker won't fully re-engage to the ON position? When you reset the breaker, does the tie handle make a clicking noise when it is trying to lock in place?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Yes, electric dryer... 30 amp double pole breaker.... yes there are other working 30 amp double pole breakers... the washer... I have firmly tried to reset... turned totally off and then back on... and it won't fully re-engage to on... it snaps over to the on just like it should, but then it just goes back toward the middle... doesn't trip the breaker, it just is not tight to the on.... hope that makes sense....
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Correction. washer is not on a 30 double pole, but the Water Heater is...
Expert:  Kevin replied 1 year ago.
OK, Thank you for the replies and confirmation. 1) Sounds like the 30 amp breaker may be defective and may require replacement. 2) Before replacing the breaker, locate another known working 30 amp double pole breaker (water heater) in the panel and turn that breaker to the OFF position. Unplug the dryer. Then temporarily remove the 2 hot wires from that breaker. 3) At the 30 amp breaker in question, turn it OFF and remove it's 2 hot wires and swing them over to the other known working 30 amp double pole breaker in the panel. Since the dryer is not plugged in, take a voltage meter and measure for 240 volts across the 2 hot wire slots on the receptacle. Then measure for 120 volts from the receptacle neutral slot (90 degree slot) to each of the hot slots. Can you successfully measure these voltages? If so, plug the dryer cord into the wall receptacle. Does the dryer work correctly or does the other known breaker also not reset and trips? Reply back and let me know how you make out and we can take it from there............Thanks.............Kevin:)
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
OK I think that is beyond me.... I am not one to go messing around inside the box... if it is a bad breaker, on average how much is that going to cost me to have an electrician fix? And what if it's not the breaker... what if there is a short circuit, what does that involve as far as repair and cost....
Expert:  Kevin replied 1 year ago.
Thanks for the replies. 1) Depending upon your location, hourly licensed electrician rates can vary anywhere from $65.00 per hour to $125.00 per hour. An average hourly rate is around $85.00 so I will use that hourly cost. Most electricians will charge 1 hour for the service call and another 1 hour to make the repairs. If the breaker is faulty, figure on $15.00 for a replacement breaker cost. So you're looking at approximately $170 for labor and $15 for material = approximately $185 total 2) If a short circuit in the house wiring, I would budget 1 hour for the service call and another 1 hour minimum to correct a short. For this fix, approximately $170.00 to locate and correct any short circuit. If you have any additional questions, just let me know and I’ll be glad to answer them for you. Otherwise, don’t forget to rate me before you log Off. Thanks...............Kevin:)
Expert:  Kevin replied 1 year ago.
If you have any additional questions, just let me know and I’ll be glad to answer them for you. Otherwise, don’t forget to rate me before you log Off. Thanks...............Kevin:)
Expert:  Kevin replied 1 year ago.
Expert:  Kevin replied 1 year ago.