Eddie
Eddie, Home Improvement Contractor
Experience:  owner of Island Pro-Craft
90350505

I have a dimmer switch with two black and one green wire.

Customer Question

I have a dimmer switch with two black and one green wire. My electrical box only has two wires to attach to. what do I do with the green wire?
JA: Sometimes electrical issues that that you think will be really complicated end up being easy to fix. The Electrician I'm going to connect you with knows all the tricks and shortcuts. Tell me a bit more about what's going on so we can help you best.
Customer: My house wiring goes back to 1948. I don't have a three wire system. I need to replace my dimmer switch. It has two black wires. the new dimmer switch has two black wires and one green wire. what do I do with the green wire?
JA: Anything else I can tell the Electrician before I connect you two?
Customer: no
JA: I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Electrician about your situation and connect you two.
Category: Electrical
Expert:  Eddie replied 8 months ago.
it is a ground wire so what you can do is tie it back into the metal box