Kevin, Licensed Electrician
Experience:  29 years as a Licensed Electrical Contractor in Illinois, 5 year college Electrical Instructor, Former Electrical Inspector, Diploma in Digital Electronics, Former Illinois Licensed Home Inspector

Name is ***** *****, my hot tub won't turn on. JA: Thanks.

Customer Question

Name is ***** *****, my hot tub won't turn on.
JA: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?
Customer: I verified that it is receiving current but nothing turns on its a 2005 spa springs sovereign 2 hot tub
JA: OK got it. Last thing — Electricians generally expect a deposit of about $18 to help with your type of question (you only pay if satisfied). Now I'm going to take you to a page to place a secure deposit with JustAnswer. Don't worry, this chat is saved. After that, we will finish helping you.
Category: Electrical
Expert:  ProGrade replied 6 months ago.
Have you checked for GFCI on the unit, in or near the control panel that may be tripped?
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
you mean the circuit breaker? All breakers have been switched on and off. Ive checked with a multimeter and power is gettin g to the motherboard but still nothing powers on on the hot tub no indicator lights, jets heat nothing
Expert:  ProGrade replied 6 months ago.
No, I mean a GFCI recep that is sometimes used in the control circuit.
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
like i said power is getting to hot tubs motherboard as i tested it with a multimeter. So that would rule out a tripped GFCI, correct?
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
also there is no power button, is the hot tub supposed to just turn on when the breakers are switched on or what mechanism turns the hot tub on?
Expert:  Kevin replied 6 months ago.
Hello and welcome to Just Answer. My name is ***** ***** I will be happy to assist you with your electrical question. 1) At the GFCI disconnect switch, temporarily remove the hot tub LOAD side wires from the GFCI termination. Leave the white curly neutral wire from the GFCI terminated to the neutral bus bar in place and doe not remove this wire. Remove the 2 hots and remove the 1 white LOAD neutral (if applicable). 2) Then using an AC voltmeter, are you able to measure 120 volts from each hot leg to the neutral bus bar and are you also able to measure 240 volts across the feeder circuit 2 hot wires under a "no load" condition? The above voltage measurements are required in order to confirm if the feeder circuit and the GFCI disco switch are working correctly.
Expert:  Kevin replied 6 months ago.
If you have any additional questions, just let me know and I’ll be glad to answer them for you. Otherwise, don’t forget to rate me before you log Off. Thanks...............Kevin:)