Martin, Electrical Engineer
Experience:  Design, construct, fix and grow stuff around and in the home.
14666028

I have an electrical magnetic relay/contactor that I want to

Customer Question

I have an electrical magnetic relay/contactor that I want to check. How do I get the wiring diagram for this Square-D relay? The model number maybe M0047-D?
Category: Electrical
Expert:  Kevin replied 8 months ago.
Hello and welcome to Just Answer. My name is ***** ***** I will be happy to assist you with your electrical question. 1) I am unable to locate any model numbers in the databases showing M0047-D. Are there any other numbers that are labeled on the device? 2) Relays and contactors visually look different from each other. Any chance that you can post a picture of the device so I can see what it looks like?
Customer: replied 8 months ago.

Yes I can take a pic. And I will look again for a Model number but initially that is all I could find. I am not able to stay online because I am working again today.

Expert:  Kevin replied 8 months ago.
No problem, just reply back to me here when you have an opportunity............Thanks.............Kevin:)
Customer: replied 8 months ago.

Hi Kevin. How do I post a picture from my phone? I can text it real easy or email. But I got "email is full" when I sent a pic to someone the other day. So I am.... Just called to find out how to get you a pic. So I sent 2 pictures of the relay/contactor that you should receive soon.

L1 and L2 come from the circuit breaker panel. On each side is the neutral connection. The back wiring go to external lights for the building. I want to hook up a timer to turn lights on at night.

Expert:  Kevin replied 8 months ago.
Thanks for the replies. 1) Your last reply does not show any pictures, please re-send and post it here. 2) On your end, you should have a paperclip icon that you can attach pictures to. 3) Another option to post a picture is to use www.tinypic.com (free web site to post pic's). If using tinypic.com, you will need to cut & paste the URL back to me here so I can view the pic. 4) Were you able to locate a model number? Thanks.............Kevin:)
Customer: replied 8 months ago.

I had to send the pics one at a time. The size of the email was too large to send together.

Expert:  Kevin replied 8 months ago.
Post the pictures here or post them using tinypic.com. If you sent the pic's via e-mail to the Just Answer web site, it will take some time for me to receive the pics.
Customer: replied 8 months ago.

Class 9999 Type BC-1 or 2936-S1-C27A for 120V

Are numbers I found inside the cover.

Expert:  Kevin replied 8 months ago.
Thanks for the replies, but those numbers only represent the class type and voltage. Without a model number, I have no idea if you have a relay or a contactor. I will opt out of the question and place it back to the open board. Perhaps another electrical expert can locate the required information in another database since I am unable to find anything. No need to reply back to me, you will be notified once another expert picks up the question. Thanks.
Customer: replied 8 months ago.

Can you give the new expert the pics I sent. Please understand I am only on the computer for an hour or less on work days. You are doing fine. But there are no other model /numbers on the unit. Thank you Kevin

Expert:  Martin replied 8 months ago.
Hi. i Don't have the pics. You should be able to test it with an ohm meter (depending of what you want to know about it. The 2936-S1-C27A mean this must be a 120V Ac coil and not a 24VDC one. You should be able to figure it out with an ohm meter. A normally open contact will have infinite resistance, a normally closed contact will have 0 resistance and the coil will have some ohm because a coil is a very long wire of small diameter. I hope this help a bit.
Customer: replied 8 months ago.

Yes I wasn't sure where the coil contacts are located and how to apply a timer to it to turn on the lights at night. But I can give it a go since you don't have the pics I sent?

Expert:  Martin replied 8 months ago.
A timer usually have a relay inside it that can operate directly a lot of light (some have a very low current output and require a relay). Only when the light load is too high you need to cascade it with a stronger relay/contactor. If the light are AC or DC it does not matter, the closed contact will conduct. If the light require a special high voltage directly applied to them, the relay output would need to be rated for that voltage to not have internal electrical arc.
Customer: replied 8 months ago.

Can you get the pics I sent Kevin? I sent them to Just Answer and they sent them to Kevin. I want some clarification on the coil wiring and connections. Thanks.

Expert:  Martin replied 8 months ago.
i don't have them, you would need to email the site so that they can link them to me.
Customer: replied 8 months ago.

Just Answer is sending it/them to you.

Expert:  Martin replied 8 months ago.
i was expecting this to be a rack relay. i am not sure what this one is doing. As Square D is now Sneider Electric, you should be able to have them send you the schematic of that part: http://www.schneider-electric.us/en/support/customer-care/
Customer: replied 8 months ago.

Thank you very much. Hopefully Schneider can get me the information. Thanks again.