Kevin
Kevin, Licensed Electrician
Experience:  30 years Licensed Electrical Contractor in Illinois, Adjunct College Electrical Instructor, Former Electrical Inspector, Diploma: Digital Electronics, FCC Technician License
71008832

Home built in 1989, have one outlet in the master bath and

Customer Question

home built in 1989, have one outlet in the master bath and another outlet in the sunroom both dead, everything else including lights in both rooms function fine. Have switched off every breaker switch, one outside and one inside twice to no avail.
Category: Electrical
Expert:  Kevin replied 10 months ago.
Hello and welcome to Just Answer. My name is ***** ***** I will be happy to assist you with your electrical question. 1) Is there a GFCI device that controls both receptacles? Or is the circuit breaker a GFCI type? Have you double checked all GFCI devices if any of them tripped? 2) Do both rooms reside on the same circuit? 3) Do you have a 2 wire lead AC voltage tester (a contact type) or an AC voltmeter available to take some voltage measurements?
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
I do not know if there is a GFCI device, know here both outdoor and indoor breaker boxes are
I have not checked to see if both rooms are on the same circuit breaker, but light switches in both rooms work fine.
I do have an AC voltmeter
Expert:  Kevin replied 10 months ago.
Thanks for the replies. 1) GFCI protection for bathrooms has been a requirement of the National Electrical Code since 1975. Either the bathroom circuit breaker will be a GFCI type or somewhere on the circuit there is a GFCI receptacle installed. You need to locate the controlling GFCI device and 1st check if it has tripped and can reset. 2) If the bathroom receptacle circuit is shared with other receptacles, the GFCI can be located anywhere. Back in the 1980's, it was common and code compliant to wire bathrooms, garage and exterior receptacles all to the same circuit. Check all 3 of these locations for a GFCI receptacle which may have tripped.
Expert:  Kevin replied 10 months ago.
If you have any additional questions, just let me know and I’ll be glad to answer them for you. Otherwise, don’t forget to rate me before you log Off. Thanks...............Kevin:)
Expert:  Kevin replied 10 months ago.
Did you locate the GFCI?
Expert:  Kevin replied 10 months ago.