Mike G.
Mike G., Master Electrician
Experience:  Proven Professional 46 years Experience

Need to add an AFCI outlet to the first outlet in the

Customer Question

Need to add an AFCI outlet to the first outlet in the circuit. Power comes from attic, to light switch box, then out via two separate wires (excluding lights). Wire "A" goes to a single outlet and stops. Wire "B" goes on to power all the remaining outlets in the circuit.
If I install the AFCI on the first outlet on Wire "B", everything would be protected except that single outlet on Wire "A" (I assume).
How do I protect ALL the outlets on the circuit? Should I be looking for an outlet which precedes the light box? I'm 99% sure there isn't one, but I could be wrong. State will be inspecting so I need the "code-approved" answer.
Category: Electrical
Expert:  Mike G. replied 6 months ago.

Hi, I'm Mike G and I'll be assisting you. Might be better to install an AFCI breaker instead of a receptacle to protect the entire circuit.