Mike G.
Mike G., Master Electrician
Experience:  Proven Professional 46 years Experience
29848548

My issue is installing 50kw heat 3ph 208/230v what would my

Customer Question

My name is ***** ***** my issue is installing 50kw heat 3ph 208/230v what would my amp draw be there is an existing 40kw 3ph 208/230v and it is running on #6 3ph am I going to have issue with my wire size?
JA: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?
Customer: My major concern is if my wire size going to be okay if running delta 3ph 208v
JA: OK got it. Last thing — Electricians generally expect a deposit of about $18 to help with your type of question (you only pay if satisfied). Now I'm going to take you to a page to place a secure deposit with JustAnswer. Don't worry, this chat is saved. After that, we will finish helping you.
Category: Electrical
Expert:  Mike G. replied 8 months ago.

Hi, I'm Mike G and I'll be assisting you. Please stand by while I calculate the drew.

Expert:  Mike G. replied 8 months ago.

You should have had an issue with the 6 wire on the 40Kw load. The load is 138A before the continuous factor. The 40kw was 111A. #6 wire is good for 75A.

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
Thank you ,I'm doing a change out on the 15 ton a/c unit and heat strips and I didn't think it sounded right, im sure all 40kw was not totally connected for it to have worked but thanks for answering my question I now know what I gotta do before installing new heat strips
Expert:  Mike G. replied 8 months ago.

You're welcome.