ProGrade, Certified Electrical Contractor
Experience:  28+ years exp. - installation, troubleshooting, & repair of commercial, & residential electrical systems.

I have an outdoor gfi receptacle wired off another outdoor

Customer Question

I have an outdoor gfi receptacle wired off another outdoor gfi receptacle for landscape lighting. The main outlet reads fine and the gfi test and resets. The landscape lighting receptacle tripped last night during a heavy rain event when I accidentally turned on the lights. It won't test or reset, and is showing open hot on my tester. It's relatively new but has worked fine for the couple of months it's been installed. Any suggestions other than calling the electricians back out?
Category: Electrical
Expert:  Eddie replied 6 months ago.

it could be because you have 2 GFCI outlets you only need one the first one is LINE in and LOAD out to the one that isn't working.............if you have a regular outlet to change it and then give it a test to see if that resolved the issue.............then you can put on a waterproof cover to seal it against the elements

Expert:  ProGrade replied 6 months ago.
You could also wire it this way to reduce nuisance tripping - at the first outlet wire both blacks & both whites into the appropriate line terminals (nothing on the load terminals) at the second outlet install the black and white on the appropriate line terminals. This protects the load that is plugged in to each outlet. If after wiring it this way, with nothing plugged in, if either outlet will not reset, and there is nothing touching inside the box, the device is defective.
Expert:  ProGrade replied 6 months ago.
Just checking in, did this resolve the problem?