Mike, Master Electrician
Experience:  Licensed Master Electrician - OnQ Certified Data Voice Audio Video Installer
11762411

Is it legal to have a 120/240v service to a commercial

Customer Question

Is it legal to have a 120/240v service to a commercial building that's feeds a 460/277 transformer to power the fire pump?
Category: Electrical
Expert:  Steven Parent replied 12 months ago.

Hello, my name is ***** ***** services are single phase and used in residential. Commercial areas will have 3 phase services. If you had a 120/208-220 Volt 3 phase service you would be able to feed a step up transformer to run a 480 volt pump.

Customer: replied 12 months ago.
if I have a 3 phase service !20/208 its ok?

Yes if you have 3 phase you can transform it to whatever voltage you need to run the pump. You will just have to do the correct calculations for wire breaker and transformer sizes.

And you would have to have enough current on the 208 side as it will draw a little better than twice as much as the 480 side.