Mike, Master Electrician
Experience:  Licensed Master Electrician - OnQ Certified Data Voice Audio Video Installer
11762411

My bathroom light stopped working. When I check to see if

Customer Question

Hello
My bathroom light stopped working. When I check to see if there is power to the light or the switch there is no power. I checked the breaker box and nothing is off. I am lost in what would be the next step to take for figuring out the problem. Can someone please help me.
Category: Electrical
Expert:  Steven Parent replied 8 months ago.

Hello my name is ***** ***** I will be happy to assist you. Do you know if your bathroom has a GFCI receptacle? It may be fed off the load side of the receptacle, or perhaps from a GFCI receptacle from another washroom. That may be tripped

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
I will check right now
Customer: replied 8 months ago.
It does have a GFCI. It is not bad or tripped.
Customer: replied 8 months ago.
Anything else ?

Ok, so power to the plug and it is working fine. But no power at the switch. How many wires in the switch box?

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
There is 5 wires in the switch box

And no power on any of them? what colors and what is connected?

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
No power to any of them and the red is to the ceiling light the red/black to the switch the return to the black and the ground is the ground

What do you have for a tester? Are there no whites in the box?

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
there is a white we checked it there is no power to any of the wires in the switch or the light box

And for sure all the breakers are on? Sometimes they are tripped but they still look like they are on

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
For sure they are all on and with power I just checked

How many wires in the ceiling box? Are there any other lights or plugs in the area that are also not on?

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
2 wires in the ceiling box and that is the only thing in the room that doesnt work.

white and black?

Customer: replied 8 months ago.

ok then that black goes to your switch and the white is connected to another white in the box?

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
one is a 12-3 and the other is a 12-2
Customer: replied 8 months ago.
I have a handy man here helping me out just we are lost in what is the problem sorry

so the 12-2 runs from the switch box, to the ceiling light. 12-3 brings power into the switch box. you will have to open up some other boxes in the area, to try and find the other end of that 12-3 and see if that is where the power drops out