Mike, Master Electrician
Experience:  Licensed Master Electrician - OnQ Certified Data Voice Audio Video Installer
11762411

How do I wire a 2 speed motor to a regular outlet and be

Customer Question

How do I wire a 2 speed motor to a regular outlet and be able to change speeds
JA: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?
Customer: The wiring going up to the roof only has 2 hot wires coming from the cooler switch one for the motor and one for the pump. the cooler motor is 2 speed and has a black wire for hi and red for low.
JA: OK got it. Last thing — Electricians generally expect a deposit of about $18 to help with your type of question (you only pay if satisfied). Now I'm going to take you to a page to place a secure deposit with JustAnswer. Don't worry, this chat is saved. After that, we will finish helping you.
Category: Electrical
Expert:  Jason replied 8 months ago.

Hello. Welcome to Just Answer.

Expert:  Jason replied 8 months ago.

This requires a pretty specific type of switch.

Expert:  Jason replied 8 months ago.

What is the voltage of the cooler motor?

Expert:  Jason replied 8 months ago.

If it's a 120 volt motor, a single pole switch will work. The other characteristics it needs to have are detailed below...

Double throw, center off, maintained contact.

Expert:  Jason replied 8 months ago.

Leviton makes one that is ideal. The part number is ***** The "I" stands for ivory, so if you need a different color, please let me know.

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
The switch is below inside the house. the outlet is up above on the roof. The motor has four wires Red for low, black for hi, white for commune and green for ground. The wires coming up to the roof are one hot for pump and one for motor. < how do I wire the regular outlet and the plug for the motor.
Customer: replied 8 months ago.
How can I wire the outlet, and the plug from the motor.
Expert:  Jason replied 8 months ago.

The motor wouldn't be able to have a standard male plug on the end of the cord, and the outlet would have to be a 4 wire outlet, not a 3 wire outlet. You need a 4 wire twist lock outlet, and a matching male plug. I can post recommended parts, if you don't mind standing by.

Expert:  Jason replied 8 months ago.

This is the male end that needs to go on the end of the 4 wire cord going into the motor.

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
It has one of these http://img0137.popscreencdn.com/186207262_dial-36-in-evaporative-cooler-motor-cord-7545.jpg
Expert:  Jason replied 8 months ago.

Here's the female outlet that needs to be mounted in a weatherproof box at the unit.

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
My problem is I only have one wire going to 2 wires of the motor.
Expert:  Jason replied 8 months ago.

Thank you for posting the link for the cord. I wouldn't be able to find the matching outlet for that cord, unfortunately. This is because it's not a NEMA (National Electrical Manufacturer's Association) configuration. I can only post parts for NEMA products. If you change it so that 4 wires go from the switch to the roof, and connect it properly, it'll work as intended. You'll basically have a neutral, a ground, and two switched hots going to the unit.

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
Thanks
Expert:  Jason replied 8 months ago.

The twist lock outlet and the twist lock male end will each have 1 silver screw (for the neutral/white wire), one green screw (for the ground wire), and two gold screws. The gold screws will each represent one of the motor speeds. One should have a red wire connected to it, and the other should have a black wire connected to it, on each twist-lock device.