Steve G., Electrical Engineer
Experience:  Spent 20 years as an Electrical Engineer, designing electrical plans and specifications.
329447

I am trying to fit a ceiling light pendant. I have removed

Customer Question

I am trying to fit a ceiling light pendant. I have removed the old fixture and have 2 black wires, 3 red wires, a live switch wire and 2 earth wires. The problem is there is just 3 Connections in the terminal block for the new pendant. How do I fit this? Thanks, Andy
Category: Electrical
Expert:  Steve G. replied 1 year ago.

Hello there and welcome to Just Answer. My name is ***** ***** I will be assisting you today. I am an engineer with over 30 years of electrical and electronic training, repair and installation experience. I will try and answer your question accurately and precisely so that we can get you on your way.

I need to gather some more information from you in order to help.

Three total connections (i.e. 6 screws) or three separate terminal blocks?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
there are 6 screws in the terminal box. 3 holes in and 3 out. I can send a picture if it helps?
Expert:  Steve G. replied 1 year ago.

No, I understand.

Is there another earth terminal you can use? I would probably move the earths off the strip and tie them together independently of the other wires. You can buy a 5A clear terminal strip at the local hardware store and cut off a single terminal. Should cost you a few pennies.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Ah ok I think I have one of those thanks
Expert:  Steve G. replied 1 year ago.

Excellent. That should free up your other terminals.

Please let me know if I can help you further and please consider rating my service today. It is very important for us experts here.

Thanks very much.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hi again Steve, still a bit confused. I found the 5A connector strip however the 3 connections in the terminal block are for the love switch wire, the neutral and Earth. This leaves me with 3 red wires left. I think these are loop wires so should I just put them in a 5a connection strip and connect the other wires to the terminal block?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Here are some pictures!
Expert:  Steve G. replied 1 year ago.

Ok, your reds are the hots. One is switched. Identify that one and separate it.

The blacks are neutral.

Connect the remaining reds into one terminal. Connect the blacks into one terminal.

Connect the switched red into one terminal.

Connect your fixture to the switched red and neutral.

Does that help?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Ok thankd
Expert:  Steve G. replied 1 year ago.

You're welcome. Have a great weekend.

Also, when you can, please rate the service you received today.

Thanks.

Steve