Mike G.
Mike G., Master Electrician
Experience:  Proven Professional 48 years Experience
29848548

We just installed a fireman's safety switch to our pool

Customer Question

Hi! We just installed a fireman's safety switch to our pool timer. However, instead of the pool heater turning off about 15-20 min before the pool pump, they are turning off simultaneously. What are we doing wrong?
Category: Electrical
Expert:  Steven Parent replied 10 months ago.

Hello, my name is ***** ***** I will try and assist you.

Before you installed the safety switch, how did the timer function?

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
There are two pins that you attach onto the timer to set the start and end time.

Ok, and what was it controlling, the pump or the heater?

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
Hi Steve. It was controlling the pump.

Ok, and this new safety switch is just in series with the timer? How would you like it to function?

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
We want it to turn off the heater 15-20 min before the pump.

Do you have a 2nd timer? Or does your current timer have multiple settings?

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
Just one timer.

And it runs the pump for 15-20 minutes?

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
No. We can set how long we want the pump to run.http://www.intermatic.com/en/products/pool_and_spa/accessories_and_enclosures/accessories/time_switch_parts/fireman_switch

Ok, and what do you have it wired to?

You only want the switch to interrupt the heater circuit, not on the pump side of the timer.

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
It's wired as shown in the attached diagram.

Ok so you've got it wired correctly then. Is the switch mounted onto the timer correctly, 20 minutes before the off time?

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
Well I think that is the part I'm not clear about.http://www.swimming-pool-information.com/pool-pump-timers.htmlThe top one is what our timer looks like. You'll see the two pins that you use to set the on and off for the pool pump.

Well I think there is only one place for it to mount to, but you have to slide it into position, so that it switches before the off set point makes it.

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
Could you provide a drawing?

I don't have anything, but the intermatic instruction, which I'm sure you've already seen?

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
Sorry but I don't understand how to set up the timer so that the heater goes off first. The heater and pump are going off simultaneously.

The switch is opening with the off setpoint right now. It needs to be installed so that it opens before the off setpoint makes it. I will opt out and allow another expert to weigh in.

Expert:  Mike G. replied 10 months ago.

Hi, I'm Mike G and I'll be assisting you. Install the switch on the timer as the installation instructions indicate. The wires are connected to the ignition wires on the heater. The fireman's switch will trip 15/min by the off tripper ahead of tripping the line to the pump.

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
Hi Mike. Thanks for your comment but we decided that we just disconnect the switch and do it manually.
Expert:  Mike G. replied 10 months ago.

I strongly suggest completing the installation for safety and several other benefits. The switch mounts to the right bottom of the timer baseplate. The wires are connected to the wire in the heater. You cut the ignition wire and attach the switch leads to the two cut ends. It's that simple.