Mike G.
Mike G., Master Electrician
Experience:  Proven Professional 46 years Experience
29848548

How do you connect a 3 way and single pole switch off same

Customer Question

How do you connect a 3 way and single pole switch off same circuit. They are next to each other and running different lights
Category: Electrical
Expert:  Mike G. replied 8 months ago.

Hi, I'm Mike G and I'll be assisting you. You MN ay or may not be able to do that. It depends on what you have for wires in the box. Tell me the count and colors of the wires in the box and on the 3 way switch. Also tell me the wire color on the 3 way switch black screw.

Expert:  Mike G. replied 8 months ago.

This is the question to stay with. Can you read the previous post asking about your wires?

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
I have nothing hooked up yet. The main power supply has 2 wires,black and whit. The wire to the 3 way has 3 wires,BL.wh. red. Wire to single has white and red. No grounds on anything. These are all coming from the ceiling to be placed on the switches.
Expert:  Mike G. replied 8 months ago.

If you have 3 wires black, red, and white on the 3 way all from the same cable and a black and red for the single pole switch there should be another black wire. Was this box existing and working or is this something you modified?

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
Sorry. The wire to the single had black and red on t white and red. They were already hooked up once. We redid our kitchen and wanted to replace these 2 switches but didn't mark them when we took the old switches off
Expert:  Mike G. replied 8 months ago.

OK, to be sure of the connections on the 3 way. You'll need to open the other switch and tell me the wire colors on the gold screws. They need to be the same at both switches.

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
The single has 2 gold and a green screw. No silver.
Customer: replied 8 months ago.
The 3 way has 2 gold on top, 1 black and green
Expert:  Mike G. replied 8 months ago.
You didn't understand my request. I need the wire colors on the gold screws of the other 3 way switch, not the screw colors of the one you're trying to connect.
Customer: replied 8 months ago.
The old ones? I don't have those any more. I know they were old and they were the kind where you stick the wires in the holes and tighten the screws if that helps.
Expert:  Mike G. replied 8 months ago.

You're telling me that you removed the wires on both 3 way switches? That being so, I need the count and color of the wires in the other box. It may be necessary to open the light fixture to see which color wires were used. There are several ways the switching may have been wired and I need to know where to start for an answer.

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
There was one single and one 3 way. Im replacing with Same kind. The wire out 1 fixture to the single is 1 black and 1 white. The wire from the other fixture to the 3 way is 1 red1 black and 1 white
Expert:  Mike G. replied 8 months ago.

I'm sorry but after asking for info on number and colors of wires at both switch boxes and light fixtures, not getting what was requested it makes it impossible to continue. I'll opt out and allow another expert to assist.