I have 15 fluorescent fixtures, I replaced the photo cell

Customer Question

I have 15 fluorescent fixtures, I replaced the photo cell and the breaker keeps tripping. I have 120 from black to white
Category: Electrical
Expert:  Mike G. replied 7 months ago.

Hi, I'm Mike G and I'll be assisting you. I suggest disconnecting the photo cell to see if the circuit still trips. Replacing the cell tells me there was a problem previously. Let me know what happens.

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
I already bypassed the photocell, it's not that, yes it's a previous issue, I removed all bulbs so I know it's not bulbs. Im currently taking out all fixtures to look for breaks our melted, or shorts
Expert:  Mike G. replied 7 months ago.

To trip the breaker I suspect that you have a bad ballast. Open the circuit Midway to eliminate the good ones. Continue breaking the power until you find the bad one. If they are not electronic, you may see a tar like substance leaking. That would be the bad one. In many commercial installations an inline fuse is wired into the fixture to avoid troubleshooting that many fixtures.

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
I have absolutely no idea what you said our what that means. It just started raining. I'm calling an electrician
Expert:  Mike G. replied 7 months ago.

Very well, I'll ipt out.

Expert:  JACUSTOMER-724lcq13- replied 6 months ago.

Each one of the fixtures has a ballast(transformer) inside. Disconnect each fixtures one at a time until you find the defective one. By splitting the circuit in half you maybe able to lessen your troubleshooting time unless there is more than one bad ballast. Some of the older ballast have tar in them that will smell when they go bad.