Kevin
Kevin, Licensed Electrician
Experience:  29 years as a Licensed Electrical Contractor in Illinois, 5 year college Electrical Instructor, Former Electrical Inspector, Diploma in Digital Electronics, Former Illinois Licensed Home Inspector
71008832

A Hampton Bay ceiling fan starts but will not stop running

Customer Question

A Hampton Bay ceiling fan starts but will not stop running by the remote control or the wall switch. The capacitor on the fan looks normal - no swelling or burns. The fan will stop when the circuit breaker is open. The circuit breaker also controls the forced air heater.
Category: Electrical
Expert:  Kevin replied 8 months ago.

Hello and welcome to Just Answer. My name is ***** ***** I will be happy to assist you with your electrical question.

1) Even though the capacitor may look normal (no melting or burnt marks) on the outside, it may still be faulty and needs to be confirmed using the capacitor testing function found on the higher quality types of digital voltmeters. In order to test the capacitor, it needs to be removed from the circuit and properly discharged. The testing function can measure the cap's uF (micro farad value). If the measurement reads "OL" on the meter, the cap is defective and needs to be replaced.

2) As you are already aware, the function of the fan capacitor is to control the various fan speeds.

3) Another possibility is a faulty remote transmitter. Does the fan contain a pull chain to control the fans speeds? If so, the receiver can temporarily be isolated from the fan and then the fan speeds can be tested using the pull chain.

4) Have you confirmed that the wall switch is working correctly by measuring for 0 volts on the switched leg when the switch is in the OFF position?

Expert:  Kevin replied 8 months ago.

If you have any additional questions, just let me know and I’ll be glad to answer them for you.

Otherwise, don’t forget to rate me before you log Off.

Thanks..............Kevin:)

Expert:  Kevin replied 8 months ago.

Thanks.............Kevin:)

Expert:  Kevin replied 8 months ago.

Thanks.............Kevin:)

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
No comment
Expert:  Kevin replied 8 months ago.

OK, was just following up with you to see how you made out.