Steve G., Electrical Engineer
Experience:  Spent 20 years as an Electrical Engineer, designing electrical plans and specifications.
329447

I am attempting to repace a programmable thermostat

Customer Question

I am attempting to repace a programmable thermostat for a baseboard heater with an rlv4305. Form the wall I have 2 whiite wires and 2 black wires. From the old unit I have 2 red wires and 2 black wires. I am confused as to how to connect them up. Can u help?
JA: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?
Customer: like what?
JA: OK got it. Last thing — Electricians generally expect a deposit of about $18 to help with your type of question (you only pay if satisfied). Now I'm going to take you to a page to place a secure deposit with JustAnswer. Don't worry, this chat is saved. After that, we will finish helping you.
Category: Electrical
Expert:  Steve G. replied 8 months ago.

Hello there and welcome to Just Answer. My name is ***** ***** I will be assisting you today. I am an engineer with over 30 years of electrical and electronic training, repair and installation experience. I will try and answer your question accurately and precisely so that we can get you on your way.

Let me see if I understand. You have 4 wires coming from the baseboard heater?? Is there more than one heater?? And when you took off the old thermostat, you have 4 wires also?

Let me know.

Thanks.

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
I have 4 wires coming from the old thermostat and 4 from the junction box on the wall.
Customer: replied 8 months ago.
The old thermostat controls 2 baseboard heaters, 8 ft each
Expert:  Steve G. replied 8 months ago.

Take a look at THIS DIAGRAM and let me know if you have any questions.