Phil
Phil, Mechanical Engineer
Experience:  Retired electrical contractor, 51 years experience.
23932409

The total load house is greater than 100A. The cable run

Customer Question

Hello . I'm Daniel.
The total load for a house is greater than 100A. The cable run from supply head ( atm 60A) to consumer units located inside house is a 3 core 25mm SWA. Can i order a 3 phase supply and use just 2 of them to the consumer unit ? Thx.
Category: Electrical
Expert:  Phil replied 1 year ago.

Hello, 3 phase requires that the utility company fit a 3 phase transformer on the pole (or in their vault), you will pay more for the service, and gain nothing because you still have the same wire size limitations and 100amp panel limitations.

It is most likely possible that you can increase your panel size to 150 or 200 amps with the utilities approval (depends on which pole transformer they have in place and how many other houses are on it etc.)

If you choose to rate that answer positively, I will be able to afford to go more in depth with you on this. I work at my own considerable expense otherwise.

Let me know, accept and we can go for an hour, or ask me to opt out and other of our experts here might choose to pick up your question.