Kevin
Kevin, Licensed Electrician
Experience:  30 years Licensed Electrical Contractor in Illinois, Adjunct College Electrical Instructor, Former Electrical Inspector, Diploma: Digital Electronics, FCC Technician License
71008832

Ran new SER to my main breaker and my sub panel in garage,

Customer Question

Ran new SER to my main breaker and my sub panel in garage, also replacing my aerial cable/guy wire and weatherheads....the aerial cable is a bundle three blacks and a bare (ground)...is there a test to identify/mark the different black wires on the end to end run without energizing the circuit.
Category: Electrical
Expert:  Kevin replied 11 months ago.

Hello and welcome to Just Answer. My name is ***** ***** I will be happy to assist you with your electrical question.

1) Sure, either obtain a continuity tester or a toner/probe set and you can easily identify the conductors.

2) Once each conductor is identified, they can then be color coded at each end with electrical tape with the respective colors such as black and red for the 2 hot phases and white for the neutral conductor.

Whenever testing and/or using a continuity meter or tester, make sure the conductors do not have any voltage present. Continuity testing always requires a de-energized circuit.

3) Shown in the link below is a great continuity tester. It provides an audible tone as well as a visual flashing LED indicator. This tester can perform local and remote testing to easily identify conductors.........ie....... perfect for your application.

http://www.homedepot.com/p/Extech-Instruments-Remote-and-Local-Continuity-Tester-CT20/205556931

If you have any additional questions, just let me know and I’ll be glad to answer them for you.

Otherwise, don’t forget to rate me before you log Off.

Thanks............Kevin:)

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Thanks. I guess just one other stupid question....is it up to code if I run the aerial wire inside the house and garage as well if I use conduit, I am know that SER is per code for indoor runs, but I do have a pile of extra 100 amp aerial cable...I know running it in conduit would not be easy to pull, but just wondering if that is not up to code...specs on the aerial cable:
Color:
Black.Description:
Aluminum Triplex Overhead cable is designed for use to supply power from utility lines to the consumer weather head. For service at 600 volts or lower (phase to phase) at a conductor temperature of 75°C maximumConductor:
Aluminum Triplex Overhead cable has concentric strand or compressed 1350-H19 series aluminum conductor.Insulation:
Aluminum Triplex Overhead cable has a black cross linked polyethylene (XLP) insulation.Messenger:
Aluminum Triplex Overhead cable has a bare ACSR messenger. Optional constructions include a messenger ofAAC or 6201 alloy.Applicable Standards:
ASTM B-230
ASTM B-231
ASTM B-232
ASTM B-399
ICEA S-76 - 474Specifications*:Phase Conductor-Size: 4 AWG
Conductor Strand: 7
Insulation Thickness: 0.050 inches
Neutral Conductor-Size: 4 AWG
Conductor Strand: 6/1
Allowable Ampacity: 110 Amps
Expert:  Kevin replied 11 months ago.

1) Article 396 (Messenger Supported Wiring) within the National Electrical Code does not specify if aerial cable is allowed to be installed indoors.

2) I recommend to contact your local electrical inspector to confirm if the use of the aerial cable is permitted indoors. Keep in mind, that any local electrical codes can always take precedence over the NEC. The local Authority Having Jurisdiction always has the final say so.

Thanks................Kevin:)

Expert:  Kevin replied 11 months ago.

Thanks................Kevin:)

Expert:  Kevin replied 11 months ago.

Thanks.............Kevin:)