Mike G.
Mike G., Master Electrician
Experience:  Proven Professional 46 years Experience

I'm replacing my bathroom: II'm replacing my bathroom fan

Customer Question

I'm replacing my bathroom :
JA: I'll do all I can to help. Tell me a bit more about what's going on so we can help you best.
Customer: II'm replacing my bathroom fan the old one had the switch line and another hot power line hooked directly to the FAN WHEN I hook it up the fan comes on but when I flip the switch the breaker trips
JA: Sometimes electrical issues that that you think will be really complicated end up being easy to fix. The Electrician I'm going to connect you with knows all the tricks and shortcuts. Is there anything else the Electrician should be aware of?
Customer: No
JA: I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Electrician about your situation and connect you two.
Category: Electrical
Expert:  Mike G. replied 7 months ago.

Hi, I'm Mike G and I'll be assisting you. Do you have a 2 wire voltage tester? Testing to identify the feed wires needs to be done first.

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
I do
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
When I took the fan down it had a hot hooked to it and the switch line all wired to the fan I don't understand how the old fan
Expert:  Mike G. replied 7 months ago.

Very good.disconnect all the wires. Test the black to white in each cable for 120V. Turn the power off, connect the hot black wire to the white from the second cable. That leaves you 1 black and one white. Connect those wire to the fan leads by color. Connect the ground wires and attach to the fan enclosure. That's it. Turn power back on.

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Thank you this has been driving me crazy for a couple of days.
Expert:  Mike G. replied 7 months ago.

Anytime, you're welcome.