Mike, Master Electrician
Experience:  Licensed Master Electrician - OnQ Certified Data Voice Audio Video Installer
11762411

I was getting ready to replace my Clothes dryer cord, I

Customer Question

I was getting ready to replace my Clothes dryer cord, I plugged the cord into the outlet to see if the cord fit the outlet and there was a loud pop and all the lights went out. What do I do?
JA: Sometimes electrical issues that that you think will be really complicated end up being easy to fix. The Electrician I'm going to connect you with knows all the tricks and shortcuts. Is there anything else the Electrician should be aware of?
Customer: I don't think so.
JA: I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Electrician about your situation and connect you two.
Category: Electrical
Expert:  Kevin replied 8 months ago.

Hello and welcome to Just Answer. My name is ***** ***** I will be happy to assist you with your electrical question.

1) Is the receptacle a 3 or a 4 prong?

2) Have you checked if any breakers were tripped and did you reset the breakers that control the lighting?

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
4 prong
Customer: replied 8 months ago.
I Clicked all of them off and turn them back on and nothing happened
Expert:  Kevin replied 8 months ago.

Thanks for the replies.

1) Do you have the 2 hot cord wires terminating to the left and right most screw terminal on the dryer terminal strip and the dryer cord cord neutral wire terminated to the middle screw terminal?

2) Is the dryer cord green ground wire terminated to the dryer frame green frame ground screw?

Expert:  Kevin replied 8 months ago.

1) Is the entire home without lighting or only certain areas (rooms) without lights?

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
I had not connected Cord to the dryer yet
Customer: replied 8 months ago.
The entire home is without lights
Expert:  Kevin replied 8 months ago.

Thanks for the replies.

1) Flip all of the individual breakers to the OFF position and then turn the main breaker to the OFF position. Then turn the main breaker back to ON and the remainder of the individual breakers to ON. Do the lights work?

2) Do you have an AC voltmeter available?

3) Do any of the lights dim or flicker?

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
No, nothing happens
Expert:  Kevin replied 8 months ago.

1) Do you have an AC voltmeter available?

2) Check the wall receptacles, are these also dead?

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
I don't have an AC voltmeter
Expert:  Kevin replied 8 months ago.

Thanks for the replies.

Check the wall receptacles, are these also dead?

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
Customer: replied 8 months ago.
Is a black mark on the wall next to the outlet
Customer: replied 8 months ago.
There is
Expert:  Kevin replied 8 months ago.

Thanks for confirming.

1) You either have a loose hot wire connection or a loose neutral connection or both. The problem can either be a utility issue or a loose connection at the meter socket or inside the main panel. You will need an AC voltmeter to confirm the problem.

2) Black marks on a receptacle indicate that arcing took place.

3) Are all or half of the home receptacles dead?

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
OK what does that mean
Expert:  Kevin replied 8 months ago.

You tell me..........are 1/2 or all of the home receptacles dead and no power?

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
All of them
Expert:  Kevin replied 8 months ago.

Then you either lost both hot phases from the electrical utility or you lost a neutral. Most likely a neutral issue if the entire home is dead. Thus the reason all of the 120 volt loads are dead.

You need an AC voltmeter to confirm the problem or you need a locally licensed electrician to confirm the problem if a utility issue or a house issue. Can you obtain an AC voltmeter to take a few measurements inside the main panel?

Expert:  Kevin replied 8 months ago.

A voltage measurement is required at the main breaker lugs and the neutral bus bar inside the panel to confirm the problem.

Expert:  Kevin replied 8 months ago.

If you have any additional questions, just let me know and I’ll be glad to answer them for you.

Otherwise, don’t forget to rate me before you log Off.

Thanks..............Kevin:)