Mike G.
Mike G., Master Electrician
Experience:  Proven Professional 46 years Experience

I am looking to install a pool automation device which is

Customer Question

I am looking to install a pool automation device which is meant to also be a sub panel. It will be located about 30ft from the main breaker panel and will be outside but under a covered roof. My service I believe is 200amp. The main panel is currently full and I have an existing pony panel.
The instructions on the pool automation device is to set it up from a 100 amp breaker from the main panel. This device will have breakers for the pool pump, lights, gas pool heater. My questions are:
Should I use a gfci breaker on the main panel? Should he breakers in the pool automation device/sub panel be gfci?
What gauge wire do I need to run?
Can I add this 100amp breaker without overloading my panel?
Category: Electrical
Expert:  Mike G. replied 7 months ago.

Hi, I'm Mike G and I'll be assisting you. You can install a 100A main for the sub panel as long as information on the main service panel allows it. Check the label. I suggest seoerat GFCI breakers for each branch cirvuit, not having one tripping for any function. Easier to troubleshoot if necessary. You might even consider a 200A sub panel with a lug kit, making your existing main breaker the main for the sub panel.

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Thanks Mike. Very helpful. Should I use gfci at the main panel or is gfci on each circuit on the. Sub panel ok? What gauge wire should I run to the sub panel?
Expert:  Mike G. replied 7 months ago.

200A sub feed can be fed with 4/0 aluminum SER cable. As suggested individual GFCI breakers for each circuit.