Kevin
Kevin, Licensed Electrician
Experience:  29 years as a Licensed Electrical Contractor in Illinois, 5 year college Electrical Instructor, Former Electrical Inspector, Diploma in Digital Electronics, Former Illinois Licensed Home Inspector
71008832

I am replacing A ceiling fan light combo in my mothers

Customer Question

Hi Jason. I am replacing A ceiling fan light combo in my mothers house. The new fan light combo comes with a remote control. From the ceiling I have one hot wire one pink wire one black wire and one white wire. The fan and the light have separate outlets, hence the black and pink. The remote control piece has two wires outside of one side white and black, the other side blue white and black. I've been able to get the light to work and I even hear a clicking noise for the fan when using the remote control but I cannot get the fan blades to move. I currently have the ground wire to green the pink wire to the remote control black, the white wire to White but I don't know what to do with the black wire from the ceiling.
Category: Electrical
Expert:  Kevin replied 8 months ago.

Hello and welcome to Just Answer. My name is ***** ***** I will be happy to assist you with your electrical question.

1) Do you have a wall switch that will over ride the remote? If so, how many wires and what are the wire colors that are terminated to the wall switch?

2) What are the wire colors on the fan and light kit wiring harness?

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
Hi Kevin. Will I need to open the wall switch to answer your question? There are two wall switches- one for the fan, one for the light.
Customer: replied 8 months ago.
The fan wall switch is black, the light has a red wire connected to it.
Expert:  Kevin replied 8 months ago.

Thanks for the replies.

1) If 2 separate wall switches exist, then you can only use 1 wall switch that will over ride the remote.

2) A remote control fan and light kit is meant to be either wired directly to a single hot wire in the ceiling or having only 1 wall switch that can over ride the remote.

3) It is most common that a single wall switch over ride the remote and the remote would then control both the ceiling fan speeds and the light kit. Which wall switch do you want to over ride the fan and light kit? I need to know the wire colors that are terminated to that switch?

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
Let's terminate the pink switch
Customer: replied 8 months ago.
I'm capping the pink and putting the blacks together, the whites together and the green w the ground. Let me see if this works. If it doesn't, I'll be back in touch.
Expert:  Kevin replied 8 months ago.

OK, very good.

1) The remote will contain 2 separate wire groups on each side of the remote. The side of the remote that contains 1 black and 1 white will get spliced to the ceiling house wires. Splice the ceiling pink to the black wire on the remote where only 2 wires exist on that side of the remote receiver. Splice the remote white neutral (where only the black and white wire exist) to the ceiling white neutral. Cap off the ceiling black wire as it will not be used.

2) At the other end of the remote, there are 3 wires....ie.... 1 black, 1 blue and 1 white. Splice the fan black wire to the remote black wire. Splice the light kit blue wire to the remote blue wire. Splice the remote white wire to the fan white neutral wire. Splice all bare copper and/or green insulated ground wires together.

3) Turn the wall switch with the pink wire to the ON position and leave it ON. Then test the fan and light kit using the remote.

Reply back to me and let me know how you make out and we can take if from there if needed.........Thanks............Kevin:)

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
Kevin, it did not work and because I've spent so much time on it, my mother has decided to get a different fan/light combo that does not include a remote. Thanks for the info/help.
Expert:  Kevin replied 8 months ago.

1) OK, it should work with the instructions I provided.

2) Of course, the other option as you mention is to purchase a fan and a light kit that can be controlled by each of the respective wall switches and then a remote is not required.

Expert:  Kevin replied 8 months ago.

If you have any additional questions, just let me know and I’ll be glad to answer them for you.

Otherwise, don’t forget to rate me before you log Off.

Thanks................Kevin:)

Expert:  Kevin replied 8 months ago.

Thanks.............Kevin:)