Mike, Master Electrician
Experience:  Licensed Master Electrician - OnQ Certified Data Voice Audio Video Installer

I need to wire a Dayton 3/4HP, single phase, 115-230V, motor

Customer Question

I need to wire a Dayton 3/4HP, single phase, 115-230V, motor to a reversing switch for a boat lift. The switch (no name on switch) has red, black, orange, white, and ground wires. The motor has blue, red, white, yellow, black, and orange wires. I can wire for simple one direction drive, but I'm stumped without a wiring diagram for the switch manufacture so I can use forward and reverse.. Steve
JA: Sometimes, Steve, electrical issues that that you think will be really complicated end up being easy to fix. The Electrician I'm going to connect you with knows all the tricks and shortcuts. Is there anything else important you think the Electrician should know?
Customer: That is about it..
JA: I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Electrician about your situation and connect you two.
Category: Electrical
Expert:  Steven Parent replied 7 months ago.

Hello my name is ***** ***** me see if I can help you out today. What is your supply voltage, 120? Does power run to the switch first? Are there terminal numbers on the switch that the colors go to? T1, T2, T8, T9 ? Does the motor have the diagram on the nameplate? P1- Line 1 , White-Yellow-Black - Line 2, Blue-T1, P2-Orange-Red ?

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Morning Steve-- service is 120. Incoming to switch L1-Black, L2-white; green to green, Outgoing: T1-White, T2-red, T8-Black, T12-orange. Hope that helps..

New motor?

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Dayton 6K938 BG replaced GE 5KC42JN0214. Both totally enclosed motors. The issue is different wiring for each motor or this could have been an easy task..I figure that this would be easy for electrician, I would have asked my neighbor, but he is out at the moment and I need to get the boat on the lift..I can do this with direct wiring and then reverse leads for up and down --if I have to..Steve

Yes, it's just a little difficult because we don't know the action of the switch. Can you take it apart and see how many terminals it has and if you can see its movement

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
It is a drum switch with 6 outgoing terminals. T1,2,6,8,10,12. They left some numbers off..Hopefully, this will help you..
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Steve-- Just in case someone has similar question. Here is what works: Switch Orange to White/yellow of motor, switch Black to Blue of motor, switch red to motor black, switch white to motor red, motor orange is terminated..Steve

OK Thanks Steve.