Steve G., Electrical Engineer
Experience:  Spent 20 years as an Electrical Engineer, designing electrical plans and specifications.
329447

I have a bathroom extract (connected to light) which require

Customer Question

I have a bathroom extract (connected to light) which require Nuetral, Switched Live and Live. The wires I have appear to be Neutral (blue), Earth (green and yellow) and Live (brown). What should I connect to what (N/SW/L)?
JA: Sometimes electrical issues that that you think will be really complicated end up being easy to fix. The Electrician I'm going to connect you with knows all the tricks and shortcuts. Is there anything else the Electrician should be aware of?
Customer: This is a replacement extractor, the previous one had the earth clipped off and only the live and Neutral connected.
JA: I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Electrician about your situation and connect you two.
Category: Electrical
Expert:  Steve G. replied 10 months ago.

Hello there and welcome to Just Answer. My name is ***** ***** I will be assisting you today. I am an engineer with over 30 years of electrical and electronic training, repair and installation experience. I will try and answer your question accurately and precisely so that we can get you on your way.

The reason that two lives are required (one switched) is for the run-on timer. The fan will continue to run for a given period after the switch is turned off.

If that is not required, you can just use your live and neutral - you will lose that run-on feature.. No earth is used in the UK in this situation as you likely have a fan isolator in the wiring.

Does that make sense?

Let me know.

Steve

Hi. Did you get my answer from earlier?

Please let me know.

Steve