Mike, Master Electrician
Experience:  Licensed Master Electrician - OnQ Certified Data Voice Audio Video Installer

I am wiring a Square "D" 2 breaker panel from my generator

Customer Question

I am wiring a Square "D" 2 breaker panel from my generator to feed my main panel. The 2 breaker panel will function as a distribution panel, Generator output is 220v and I am splitting red and black wires to provide 2 110 V circuits, each to a 30 amp breaker. Is input to 2 breaker panel at the top of the box or at the side?
JA: Sometimes electrical issues that that you think will be really complicated end up being easy to fix. The Electrician I'm going to connect you with knows all the tricks and shortcuts. Is there anything else important you think the Electrician should know?
Customer: Nor that I know of.
JA: Our top Electrician is ready to take your case. Just pay the $5 fully refundable deposit and I'll fill the Electrician in on everything we've discussed. You can go back and forth with the Electrician until you're 100% satisfied. We guarantee it.
Category: Electrical
Expert:  Kevin replied 7 months ago.

Hello and welcome to Just Answer. My name is ***** ***** I will be happy to assist you with your electrical question.

1) Are you installing an Interlock kit on the panel to kill and isolate power at the main breaker or are you installing a transfer switch?

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Currently, a transfer switch. The transfer switch with feed two blank 30 amp breakers on 110v portion of my main panel that are currently blank.
Expert:  Kevin replied 7 months ago.

Thanks for the confirmation.

1) Since installing a transfer switch, the 30 amp double pole breaker can be located in any left or right hand available 2 slots on the panel. You need a double pole breaker that has a common trip handle.

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Breakers are each 30 amp and are not double pole. Simple on/off. There are two in the transfer box that receives power from my 220v generator output. DO I feed to top terminals or side terminals?
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Obviously, I am splitting 220v output into two(2) 110 circuits, one circuit per 30amp breaker in distribution panel.
Expert:  Kevin replied 7 months ago.

If using 2 separate full size 30 amp single pole breakers, then you will require a common trip handle tie to simultaneously kill power to both breakers. The most common installation for this is to use a full size 30 amp double pole breaker which has a built-in common trip handle.

The double pole breaker or the 2 single pole breakers need to land on opposite phases at the hot bus bar. Install a full size double pole breaker and it will automatically land on 2 separate phases in the panel.

Not sure what you mean by top or bottom terminals? There is only 1 screw per each side of the breaker to terminate the hot wires?

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Now I am thoroughly confused. Does my generator INPUT go to the top screws of the breaker panel or the side screws. This is a Square D two breaker panel and two single breakers fit. Don't know about a double breaker.
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
A hot (either red or black) will be connected to each breaker and a common.
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
panel model number is *****
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
As expected, I get no response and will advise my credit card company to not charge my account as there has been a failure to perform.
Expert:  Kevin replied 7 months ago.

Sorry if I am not fast enough to reply to you. You are not the only customer that I am answering questions for.

I've opted out of your question and you can work with another expert here if you or they choose.