Steven Parent
Steven Parent,
Experience:  Journeymen Electrician at Harvey's Electric Industrial Maintenance & Contracting Ltd.
92448011

I have a combination switch that I attempting to grab power

Customer Question

i have a combination switch that I attempting to grab power from the end of a three way switch run. Unsure of the wire combination. The combination second switch will run another series of lights an I am looking to maintain power from the other 14-3 wire. ok
Category: Electrical
Expert:  Steven Parent replied 11 months ago.

Hello my name is ***** ***** to Just Answer. Are you looking to install a new switch and new lighting? And you were hoping to grab power off an existing 3-way switch?

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
The switch is a Leviton 15a combination 3 way single pole. 14/3 coming in and 14/2 going on the out switch

Ok, and that is already existing? 14/3 to the 3 way and 14/2 to the single pole ?

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
the 14/3 was already existing I am installing the 14/2 for the next set of lights.
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
The 14/2 was not existing previously it was the end of the run with a single pole 3 way switch.

Ok, so it's just a 3way switch in this box ? no other wiring?

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
it was a 3 way switch with 14/3 coming into the box.
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
from the light.

Ok. How many lights are on the entire circuit? Any receptacles on this circuit also? How many new lights are you looking to add?

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
no other receptacles and 4 other lights T8 LCD's which I will be changing over to cans. adding 6 lights to the 14/2 circuit max 25 watts a piece. on the current switch this is the only light.

Ok great. Do you have the new 14/2 run from the switch to your first light already?

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
no I don't. I have the wire.

Ok. Where are you working? Are you able to get at the existing lighting/wiring ?

You cannot add a new switch and lighting just on to that 3-way, as you only have switch legs and no neutral.

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
shoot! Ok so I will have to go back to the wire between the Sub panel the switch for the lights upstairs and run another one upstairs between the walls.
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
I thought the red wire is always hot along with the white one being neutral.

How old is the house?

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
its not that old its a garage about 6 years old. I built a 2 stall barn with an upper loft with 100 amp sub panel from the house.
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
what I can do is I have a junction box below the switches in the lower half since I cut them to short below I will jump off that junction box instead of putting another switch down stairs. and then just add a separate switch upstairs. thanks for your help.

Ok cool. So yeah in that 3 way the red and white will be your travelers and the black would switch back up to the lights.

Yes, you can just add a 2 wire to your jb and take the hot thru the switch and continue the white and switch leg to your new lights. You're welcome. Have a good weekend.