Steven Parent
Steven Parent,
Experience:  Journeymen Electrician at Harvey's Electric Industrial Maintenance & Contracting Ltd.
92448011

I have a combination switch that I attempting to grab power

Customer Question

i have a combination switch that I attempting to grab power from the end of a three way switch run. Unsure of the wire combination. The combination second switch will run another series of lights an I am looking to maintain power from the other 14-3 wire. ok
Category: Electrical
Expert:  Steven Parent replied 8 months ago.

Hello my name is ***** ***** to Just Answer. Are you looking to install a new switch and new lighting? And you were hoping to grab power off an existing 3-way switch?

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
The switch is a Leviton 15a combination 3 way single pole. 14/3 coming in and 14/2 going on the out switch

Ok, and that is already existing? 14/3 to the 3 way and 14/2 to the single pole ?

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
the 14/3 was already existing I am installing the 14/2 for the next set of lights.
Customer: replied 8 months ago.
The 14/2 was not existing previously it was the end of the run with a single pole 3 way switch.

Ok, so it's just a 3way switch in this box ? no other wiring?

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
it was a 3 way switch with 14/3 coming into the box.
Customer: replied 8 months ago.
from the light.

Ok. How many lights are on the entire circuit? Any receptacles on this circuit also? How many new lights are you looking to add?

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
no other receptacles and 4 other lights T8 LCD's which I will be changing over to cans. adding 6 lights to the 14/2 circuit max 25 watts a piece. on the current switch this is the only light.

Ok great. Do you have the new 14/2 run from the switch to your first light already?

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
no I don't. I have the wire.

Ok. Where are you working? Are you able to get at the existing lighting/wiring ?

You cannot add a new switch and lighting just on to that 3-way, as you only have switch legs and no neutral.

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
shoot! Ok so I will have to go back to the wire between the Sub panel the switch for the lights upstairs and run another one upstairs between the walls.
Customer: replied 8 months ago.
I thought the red wire is always hot along with the white one being neutral.

How old is the house?

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
its not that old its a garage about 6 years old. I built a 2 stall barn with an upper loft with 100 amp sub panel from the house.
Customer: replied 8 months ago.
what I can do is I have a junction box below the switches in the lower half since I cut them to short below I will jump off that junction box instead of putting another switch down stairs. and then just add a separate switch upstairs. thanks for your help.

Ok cool. So yeah in that 3 way the red and white will be your travelers and the black would switch back up to the lights.

Yes, you can just add a 2 wire to your jb and take the hot thru the switch and continue the white and switch leg to your new lights. You're welcome. Have a good weekend.