Mike, Master Electrician
Experience:  Licensed Master Electrician - OnQ Certified Data Voice Audio Video Installer

Will a gh Pressure Sodium light bulb purchased in the UK

Customer Question

Will a High Pressure Sodium light bulb purchased in the UK (220v?) work with a ballast purchased in the US?
Or are they like fluorescent bulbs which will run on either voltage?
Category: Electrical
Expert:  Phil replied 7 months ago.

most likely a US ballast will work with your high pressure sodium light bulb...however the ballast must be rated 30% higher than the wattage of the lamp. (the difference is that we have 60 cycle AC current here and there is 50 cycle current in most parts of the EU... that generally does not prevent performance on resistance loads however, the lamp will run 20% brighter and also 20% hotter on the USA's 60 cycle current will most likely have a shorter life span for that reason.).

Get the wattage rating etched into the lamp and I will see what ballast I can find that will most likely work.

This is a superb article on the broader topic.