Mike G.
Mike G., Master Electrician
Experience:  Proven Professional 46 years Experience
29848548

My outside post lamp stopped working. I switched out the

Customer Question

My outside post lamp stopped working. I switched out the lamp, the photo electric eye and checked the wiring multiple times and have it right. I just checked the wiring to the switch and thought that might be it as it appeared one of the wires was disconnected but I might have done that taking it off. I just connected both posts back and it's still throwing the circuit breaker. Help.
Category: Electrical
Customer: replied 8 months ago.
the only thing that I haven't switched out is the switch and breaker.
Expert:  Mike G. replied 8 months ago.
Hi, I'm Mike G and I'll be assisting you. Common problem. When cable is used for underground wiring, chances are it will fail due to ground conditions. The most likely places will either be at the entry to the post or where it exits at the house. Although a failure may happen anywhere along the run. With a continuity tester and the wires disconnected at the house and post, test to see if it is shorting to ground or neutral. Let me know what you find.
Customer: replied 8 months ago.
I have to dig up wire around the foundation to find the wire coming out of the house. Any idea how deep they would bury it? I don't have an oh meeter or continuity meter to check unfortunately.
Customer: replied 8 months ago.
Assuming that is the cause how is is fixed. How do you replace a section of cable?
Expert:  Mike G. replied 8 months ago.
The minimum is 12 inches, but it could be deeper. If you find the fault a underground splice for UF cable is available. A loop at the post and at the house would allow for movement without strain and possible failure. My guess is the wire was installed without a loop.