Mike, Master Electrician
Experience:  Licensed Master Electrician - OnQ Certified Data Voice Audio Video Installer

I am trying to add an additional GFI outlet to a wall. The

Customer Question

I am trying to add an additional GFI outlet to a wall. The power is coming from a light switch. The light switch is also wired to a dimmer switch. There are ground wires on the two switches that have been capped. The GFI has a ground wire (of course) and I do not know where to attach that either..
Category: Electrical
Expert:  Kevin replied 7 months ago.

Hello and welcome to Just Answer. My name is ***** ***** I will be happy to assist you with your electrical question.

1) Is the wall box metal or PVC plastic?

2) Does the wall box contain any bare copper or green insulated house ground wires?

3) The GFCI needs to be connected to an always live hot circuit feed and a white neutral wire on the LINE side. Have you confirmed that the wall switch box contains a white neutral wire?

4) Do you have a 2 wire lead AC voltage tester (a contact type) or an AC voltmeter to confirm the hot and neutral?

5) Are the wall switches single pole or 3-way types?