Mike G.
Mike G., Master Electrician
Experience:  Proven Professional 46 years Experience
29848548

Just switched to a dimmable switch, and lights turn on

Customer Question

just switched to a dimmable switch
JA: I'll do all I can to help. Tell me a bit more about what's going on so we can help you best.
Customer: and lights turn on slowly
JA: Sometimes electrical issues that that you think will be really complicated end up being easy to fix. The Electrician I'm going to connect you with knows all the tricks and shortcuts. Is there anything else important you think the Electrician should know?
Customer: no
JA: I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Electrician about your situation and connect you two.
Category: Electrical
Expert:  Mike G. replied 8 months ago.

Hi, I'm Mike G and I'll be assisting you. Tell exactly what the issue is. Also the make and model number of the dimmer and the type of lamps.

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
led lights lutron dimmable switch
Customer: replied 8 months ago.
I just replace the switched to a dimmable one. One switch controls two separate lights
Expert:  Mike G. replied 8 months ago.

I need the model number.

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
la19dmledg2 and dvwcl-153ph-wh
Expert:  Mike G. replied 8 months ago.

Stand by while I check on the devices.

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
when I dim the lights one light in a series of 6 stays bright
Expert:  Mike G. replied 8 months ago.

Very unusual issue. Did you make any adjustments to the low end wheel on the left face of the dimmer? If not see if a settin change corrects the issue.

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
i Have no idea what a low end wheel is.
Customer: replied 8 months ago.
I have two copper wires and two black wires coming out of the wall. The two copper wires are are twisted together. Do I have a single pole or a three way
Expert:  Mike G. replied 8 months ago.

If you only have 2 blacks, it's a single pole and one red wire from the dimmer isn't used. The hot wire connects to the black dimmer wire and the black wire to the light connects to one red dimmer wire. The wheel is on the left front. It is disabled with the cover off.