Wayne Roberts
Wayne Roberts, Electrical Technician
Experience:  Electrican 6+ years
91004775

After wiring new can lights and switches circuit breaker

Customer Question

After wiring new can lights and switches circuit breaker buzzes and the trips off 2-3 secs latter.
Category: Electrical
Expert:  Eddie replied 9 months ago.

hi .........it sounds like you have a short somewhere ............are these old work or new work cans?.........can you go back and test all your connections and switch(es)?..........it is arcing that is why you are hearing a buzz ............the last thing it could be is a faulty breaker

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
These are old work cans. I dont think that it is a faulty breaker as it was working fine before adding the can lights.
Expert:  Eddie replied 9 months ago.

how much did you add to the circuit and what was on it before ..........it could be that you are overloading it

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
I added 4 can lights and 1 scone light. however I only had 1 bulb in the can lights when I tried to turn the breaker on. Other than that it was a ceiling fan with(2 light kit) with the ceiling fan. Other things on the circuit a small bathroom and that is all. It is a 15 amp circuit.
Expert:  Eddie replied 9 months ago.

so you are adding 5 more lights 2 more switches.....this is already about 12 amps.................believe it or not but a ceiling fan should be on a dedicated circuit because it has a motor...but not too big a deal.........and then the bathroom 2 more lights? light/exhaust fan combination? GFCI?

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
Can you please opt out of this question. thank you
Expert:  Wayne Roberts replied 9 months ago.

Hello my name is***** like to try to help.

Turn all devices off that are on that 15 amp circuit and turn the breaker back on

Then you can turn on one light or fan at a time and see if the breaker trips. Remember to turn off each light or fan after the test.

If nothing trips the breaker this way, then you can start combining loads...

if the breaker trips due to having too much load you will have to consider tapping another circuit..or running new

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
The original room set up had 3 switches. 1 switch for ceiling fan motor, 1 for ceiling fan light (2 lights) and 1 for receptacle outlet on the wall.
I added 1 switch for the new can lights (4 lights) and 1 switch for wall sconce. So now there is a total of 4 light switches because I do not want to keep the wall receptacle outlet switch.When I tried turning on the circuit breaker the first time I did not have any load on the circuit. So Im pretty sure it is not a load issue.

hmm, you eliminated the switched receptacle...that is going to be a 3 wire from the switchbox. red/black/white/bare

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
I wired both red/black directly to the incoming hot
Customer: replied 9 months ago.
then pig tailed the hot over to the switches.

that sounds good, i was thinking double fed on something...

does the breaker make any sound before its trips?

buzzing?

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
I had all lights turned off and only 1 light bulb in the can lights. All of the other lights on the circuit were turned off. yes the breaker buzzed and then triped with in 2-3 seconds
Customer: replied 9 months ago.

if so it may be faulty, they can go bad if repeatedly tripped

try putting your main circuit feed on another 15 amp breaker and see if it will hold it...

...usually bathrooms are on 20 A circuits...were you able to determine the wire gauge?

when you say you didnt have any load on the circuit how are you sure of this?

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
That seems weird as it was working fine before and the only thing that I had turned on was 1 light blub. One thing that is kind of different is that the new switches a GE Zwave dimmer switches and the fan switch is a Z wave GE Fan switch.The power has been turned off for about 3 weeks to this breaker and the only things that we have noticed that we dont have power to is the small bath room next to the room that I added lights to. So I would say there was a very small load when I tired turning on the breaker
Customer: replied 9 months ago.
New switches ARE GE Zwave

if the breaker switch does not fix it you have either

1. overloaded the circuit
  2. a short somewhere...it could be anywhere...literally..
Customer: replied 9 months ago.
how do I diagnose a short?

oh wow, these z wave dimmers need a neutral

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
I have neutrals wired to neutral wires. could that be overloading somehow?

you have plenty of opportunity for a mix up thats for sure

were any of the new switches 3 way?

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
I know. I quadrupled checked the wiring before I tried the breaker to make sure hot was to hot and neutral was to neutral. I thought I had it correct. No none of these were 3way they were all single dimmer switches and one ceiling fan switch

there is the wiring diagram just for fun

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
that looks like how I have it wired.

there are a lot of variables here, its going to take a load calculation and checking each splice in the circuit to find the problem

i am recommending you call an electrician. This is one of those deals where someone is going to have to get their hands dirty..

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
ok understand