Kevin
Kevin, Licensed Electrical Contractor
Experience:  30 years Licensed Electrical Contractor in Illinois, Adjunct College Electrical Instructor, Former Electrical Inspector, Diploma: Digital Electronics, FCC Technician License
71008832

The main breaker on our electrical box has been tripping

Customer Question

The main breaker on our electrical box has been tripping for no apparent reason. What
should we do?
Category: Electrical
Expert:  Kevin replied 1 year ago.

Hello and welcome to Just Answer. My name is ***** ***** I will be happy to assist you with your electrical question.

1) Due to safety reasons, I recommend to contact a local licensed electrician and have them check for a loose main breaker and check if the 2 hot phases that terminate to the main breaker lugs are properly torqued/tightened. The main breaker must be securely fastened to the hot bus bar.

2) Doubtful, but another possibility is that the main breaker may be overloading. An electrician can use a clamp-on amp meter to confirm if the full load amperage on each of the service entrance conductors are below or above the main breaker amp rating.

3) Another possibility is that the main breaker has become defective and may need to be replaced.

4) In addition, all circuit breakers should be exercised once per year. This means to turn OFF and then turn ON all circuit breakers, including the main breaker. A breaker that has never been exercised may become in a partial state where it is not making proper contact on it's internal spring mechanism. If a breaker is partially stuck, it may start tripping or at other times, the breaker may not be able to be reset.

Expert:  Kevin replied 1 year ago.

If you have any additional questions, just let me know and I’ll be glad to answer them for you.

Otherwise, don’t forget to rate me before you log Off.

Thanks................Kevin:)

Expert:  Kevin replied 1 year ago.

Thanks................Kevin:)

Expert:  Kevin replied 1 year ago.

Thanks..................Kevin:)