Eddie
Eddie, Home Improvement Contractor
Experience:  owner of Island Pro-Craft
90350505

Master bedroom lights dont work and wall plugs dont work. no

Customer Question

master bedroom lights dont work and wall plugs dont work. no breakers are tripped and there is power at all the outlets and switches.
JA: Sometimes electrical issues that that you think will be really complicated end up being easy to fix. The Electrician I'm going to connect you with knows all the tricks and shortcuts. Tell me a bit more about what's going on so we can help you best.
Customer: i have tightened all neutrals and power leads in the electrical cabnet, and i have taken all of the wall switches out and there is power at all the light switches. I think I have a neutral problem?
JA: Is there anything else the Electrician should be aware of?
Customer: the lights and wall plugs both stopped working at the same time.
JA: Our top Electrician is ready to take your case. Just pay the $5 fully refundable deposit and I'll fill the Electrician in on everything we've discussed. You can go back and forth with the Electrician until you're 100% satisfied. We guarantee it.
Category: Electrical
Expert:  Eddie replied 11 months ago.

hi do you have a GFCI outlet in another room close by ...................bathroom perhaps?

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
in the bathroom
Expert:  Eddie replied 11 months ago.

if you could go press the red TEST button on that ........and let me know if this gets things back

Thanks

eddie

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Nothing changed
Expert:  Eddie replied 11 months ago.

and that bathroom GFCI is working ?............no other GFCI's?..........then we will have to look in the panel box again

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
I have 3 gfi's upstairs. I tripped each one and reset them. I checked the room and lights are still dead. When I plug my outlet tester in it shows that I have a hot/grd reverse, but no wiring changes have been made
Expert:  Eddie replied 11 months ago.

if you could do me a favor and with your outlet tester ....test each and every one of those outlets that are out and see if you are getting the same reading on all of them

Expert:  Eddie replied 11 months ago.

and test the bathroom GFCI also please

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
All the gfi test good. All the bedroom outlets show hot/gnd reversed
Expert:  Eddie replied 11 months ago.

if you would happen to know what breaker is to the master bedroom ........I would like you to go and switch it ALL THE WAY off and then switch it all the way back .........come and see if they are working and if you get the same reading go switch it off again

Expert:  Eddie replied 11 months ago.

do you know of an outlet that is kind of loose to the wall ........and how old is the house ?

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Nothing changed. When I had the breaker off I checked the wall outlets. Lights and outlets are on the same breaker.
Expert:  Eddie replied 11 months ago.

okay when you say you did check the wall outlets with the breaker off were you getting the same reading or nothing ?............and any loose outlet ........and how old is house?...........does it have ground wires ?

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
With breaker off no power/reading. The room was added within 15yrs. New wiring w/grounds.
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
No loose outlets, except for the light switches I have pulled out looking for loose neutrals which I found none.
Expert:  Eddie replied 11 months ago.

well it really is odd that it just went off like that .........and unfortunetley you are going to have to trace each outlet and fixture until you find it ...........you'll want to try and get the first thing on the circuit ...........so make sure nothing else is out in close by rooms and then start with the one you think is first and make sure all the connections are right with only the feed wire being connected and then plug your tester in ..............and connect and then go down the line until you get the right reading ................it is all going to be a process of elimination ............you'll have to do the lights too don't forget

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
There are 2 bedrooms upstairs and they are both connected to the same breaker. Only the master bedroom has problems. The outlets and lights in the second bedroom are fine
Expert:  Eddie replied 11 months ago.

and you said there was 2 GFCI outlet up there ?.............and you plugged in your tester on those ?

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
3 gfi's all test good
Expert:  Eddie replied 11 months ago.

as do all the other outlets in that room ....................no hot and ground error

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
The breaker just tripped and both rooms are dead. Could I have a faulty breaker? It has a test button on it.
Expert:  Eddie replied 11 months ago.

it is possible ...........but it could also be that you are shorting it out from what you just tested or touched .......I didn't rule out a bad breaker but if everything was fine in the up bedrooms chances are the short is on the circuit

Expert:  Eddie replied 11 months ago.

what exactly did you do before the breaker tripped?

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
With my fluke I checked voltage at the first light switch in the room. It has 120vlts. I went to the second light switch and it had tripped before I got there. One side note I just discovered that might help is that one of five wall sockets works fine?
Expert:  Eddie replied 11 months ago.

well that is good that you found one working thing which means that is the first outlet that comes from the upstairs..........on that second light switch did you start to unscrew anything or move it somehow ?

Expert:  Eddie replied 11 months ago.

in other words something is loose somewhere .........it might even be the first switch ...........only you would know what happened exactly

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
I have a lamp hooked into the outlet that works in the bedroom and I shook all the wires and light switches in the room trying to cause a short but it appears that all the wires are tight.
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Do you think that the one working outlet is the beginning of the circuit?
Expert:  Eddie replied 11 months ago.

yes and probably comes from upstairs ................tell me .............you said you had two switches in the room ..........did one operate an outlet for a lamp ?

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
No lamps. One is for an outside light off the master bedroom. Two are for recess lighting and there is a dimmer for a track light in the middle of the ceiling. I found one more light switch and light in the room for the closet, and it works. This is a rental by the way, that's why I'm not more familiar with what does what. Don't want you to think I'm completely stupid.
Expert:  Eddie replied 11 months ago.

no I didn't think that .............it is just really hard to get a good view of things since I am not there onsite

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
sir. I opened up the light switch and everything is tight. I disconnected the neutrals and the lamp went off that is plugged into only working outlet
Expert:  Eddie replied 11 months ago.

so right now on this one circuit ............we have the upstairs bedroom........one outlet ...........the outside and closet light and track light? working ................and then a few outlets are hot/ground error and the recessed lights? dont work ?

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
One outlet works out of five and only the light in the closet works. Everything else has 120vlts but they don't work. When I removed the wire nut from the neutrals in the closet switch box they arched. That isn't right correct?
Expert:  Eddie replied 11 months ago.

not really ............do you think that closet light was added on ?

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
It was all added at the same time that the room was
Expert:  Eddie replied 11 months ago.

you know the way things are happening .......today and previously the way you explained this really is a Twilight Zone room ..............the next thing to do is trace everything and see on what connection its bad at ........so you have your work cut out for you .......let me know what goes on with it

thanks

eddie

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
One more question.
Should neutrals be hot or not?
Expert:  Eddie replied 11 months ago.

if you touched the neutral and the ground you shouldnt be getting a reading

Expert:  Eddie replied 11 months ago.

unless it was used at the switch

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
At my one working outlet when I touch gnd and neutral I get no volts
Expert:  Eddie replied 11 months ago.

and at that switch that was arcing?

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
When I take the wire nut off of the three neutrals connected in the closet light switch box, they arch. Does that seem normal?
Expert:  Eddie replied 11 months ago.

why are there even 3 neutrals there .........its just the switch and the closet light

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
This whole room is daisy chained together. Light switches, lights and outlets. Everything in both rooms comes off of one breaker and one wire run from the breaker to all the connections.
Expert:  Eddie replied 11 months ago.

somewhere something got crossed ............maybe even the neutrals ............you are going to have to disconnect and trace and reconnect until everything is in the right order of things

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Thank you Eddie. Have a good night.
Expert:  Eddie replied 11 months ago.

thanks you too