Mike G.
Mike G., Master Electrician
Experience:  Proven Professional 46 years Experience
29848548

I have power to the light .. but it will not work ... 2

Customer Question

I have power to the light .. but it will not work ... 2 black wire and two white wires go to the box... the power or hot black goes the the light fixture first..
JA: Sometimes electrical issues that that you think will be really complicated end up being easy to fix. The Electrician I'm going to connect you with knows all the tricks and shortcuts. Tell me a bit more about what's going on so we can help you best.
Customer: Tried to install a new light... could not get it to work... so I went back to the old... I have a hot black going to the light box... that is connected to a black that goes to the switch.... then I connect the white from the switch to the copper screw on the light and the other white the is on the same cable as the hot black I connect to the sliver screw on the light fixture
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Electrician should know?
Customer: no
JA: Our top Electrician is ready to take your case. Just pay the $5 fully refundable deposit and I'll fill the Electrician in on everything we've discussed. You can go back and forth with the Electrician until you're 100% satisfied. We guarantee it.
Category: Electrical
Expert:  Mike G. replied 8 months ago.

Hi, I'm Mike G and I'll be assisting you. Do you have a 2 wire voltage tester?

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
No..I have voltage sensor tool
Customer: replied 8 months ago.
When I took the old like down..2 black were connected to each other and the whites went to the light...I tried to reinstall the old light with the same set up but it does not work
Expert:  Mike G. replied 8 months ago.

That tester will only indicate there is a hot wire, but doesn't show a good neutral. To troubleshoot anything electrical a 2 wire tester is the basic tester. They are available at any home center for around $20.00.

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
Ok.. So if i
Customer: replied 8 months ago.
If I pick up one of those what am I looking for then
Expert:  Mike G. replied 8 months ago.

I suggest a Volt/Con type tester. Easiest to use. Test the black to white on the feed wires to see if you have 120V. Then test black to ground. If no reading on the first test, you have an open neutral connection ahead of the light. If changing the fixture was because it didn't work, the problem wasn't the fixture to begin with.

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
the fixture worked fine... we were just changing to a nicer fixture
Expert:  Mike G. replied 8 months ago.

OK, before getting a tester try one thing. Remove the wires on the switch, put them together to see if the switch is bad

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
No .. no luck
Expert:  Mike G. replied 8 months ago.

You have an open neutral. The tester will verify that being the problem. Start with a test and I'll assist with finding where the problem is. Let me know when you're ready to continue.

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
Ok... will have to go buy a tester later today..
Expert:  Mike G. replied 8 months ago.

Very good.