Eddie
Eddie, Home Improvement Contractor
Experience:  owner of Island Pro-Craft
90350505

I am wiring led recessed lighting in my living room. I am

Customer Question

I am wiring led recessed lighting in my living room. I am trying to draw power from an existing switch.
The existing switch is a 3way that was connected to half switch outlets. The main switch that has power connected is running one wire to the 2nd switch and another wire to a second switch connected to lights In a separate room.
I am trying to eliminate the 2nd switch and have the remaining switch operating the led lights.
Category: Electrical
Expert:  Eddie replied 9 months ago.

is what you are saying is that you will be adding the recessed lights and have to run a new wire to them and you want to use the first switch location?.......then eliminate the second switch and the lights it controls?

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
The bottom wire is supplying power. The top right wire is running to the second switch. The top left is running to a different room.
The black wire off the power source is running to the separate room. The red is powering the switch. How can I use this switch to power lights I just installed?
Customer: replied 9 months ago.
also remove the second switch running from the top right.
Expert:  Eddie replied 9 months ago.

we can get to that later but if you could answer my above questions on what and how you want to add and what and how you want to eliminate........also what did the 3 way's control ?one set of lights or 2 sets of lights in two different rooms?............or to switch on the bottom combination outlet ?

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
The 3way controlled all the receptacles in the room. I am trying to eliminate the switched receptacles and use the switch for the lights I installed.
Expert:  Eddie replied 9 months ago.

wow all the receptacles on a switch...............what was this room used for?.............because you have to make sure that you are not putting too much on this one circuit ........because you aren't eliminating the outlets just the switch to them and then adding how many more lights?..............see what I asked was if you were eliminating the 2nd switch and the lights in the other room then you could add the lights in the living room

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
There were no lights In this room before. Just switched outlets to turn on and off floor lamps. I changed all the outlets so they have the tab and they are always live now. But now I want to use the remaining switch for new lights.
Expert:  Eddie replied 9 months ago.

okay so you have to run a new cable to your first light and then subsequently to the rest in the living room from the first switch location ......you can pick up a hot and neutral from there........then remove the switch in the second location by hot wiring it

Expert:  Eddie replied 9 months ago.

I have to log off now .......but I will check back later or tomorrow

thanks

eddie

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
4~5 amps if I did my calculation right. 8.5watts per light.
Customer: replied 9 months ago.
3 lights
Expert:  Eddie replied 9 months ago.

sounds like it will be okay to add