Electrical Questions? Ask an Electrician Online.
Hello and welcome to Just Answer. My name is ***** ***** I will be happy to assist you with your electrical question.
1) How many wires were originally terminated to the wall switch and the wire colors?
2) Do you have a 2 wire lead AC voltage tester (a contact type) or an AC voltmeter available?
3) Did you modify any of the switch terminations and/or wire splices inside the wall switch box? If any modifications were made inside the wall switch box, put them back as they were originally terminated and/or spliced.
If the fan and light kit was originally working correctly for some time period, there was no need to modify the wall switch box connections.
Thanks for the replies.
1) Since the red is being used as the switched loop conductor, at the ceiling box with the light switch in the ON position, measure for 120 volts from the ceiling red to the ceiling white and to the ceiling ground. If the red is used as the switched loop conductor, the red should toggle 120 volts when the wall switch is turned ON and 0 volts when the wall switch is OFF.
2) Repeat the same voltage measurements at the ceiling black wire, but leave the wall switch in the OFF position. Is there a constant 120 volts on the black wire?