Mike, Master Electrician
Experience:  Licensed Master Electrician - OnQ Certified Data Voice Audio Video Installer
11762411

Here. I had a light/fan unit that was controlled by a remote

Customer Question

Hi ***** ***** here. I had a light/fan unit that was controlled by a remote unit. The unit started to intermittently switch on the fan without been able to switch off either by the remote control or the wall switch. Decided to replace the unit with a simple light feature. After simple connection the light comes on but I'm unable to control it or switch off from the switch wall.
JA: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?
Customer: I have a cable from the ceiling with 4 wires, one red one white, one black, and one copper. From the light feature I have 2 blacks, that I connected to the red, two whites that I connected to the white, the ground connected to the copper. Left the black from the celing cable in connected. In the wall switch I connected the black (live) cable from the breaker to the black of the switch and to the red going to the light. The red from the switch connected to the white cables from the breaker and light. And the ground of the switch to the ground
JA: OK got it. Last thing — Electricians generally expect a deposit of about $18 to help with your type of question (you only pay if satisfied). Now I'm going to take you to a page to place a secure deposit with JustAnswer. Don't worry, this chat is saved. After that, we will finish helping you.
Category: Electrical
Expert:  Kevin replied 8 months ago.

Hello and welcome to Just Answer. My name is ***** ***** I will be happy to assist you with your electrical question.

1) How many wires were originally terminated to the wall switch and the wire colors?

2) Do you have a 2 wire lead AC voltage tester (a contact type) or an AC voltmeter available?

3) Did you modify any of the switch terminations and/or wire splices inside the wall switch box? If any modifications were made inside the wall switch box, put them back as they were originally terminated and/or spliced.

If the fan and light kit was originally working correctly for some time period, there was no need to modify the wall switch box connections.

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
1) In the wall switch I have the hot black wire from the bracket connected to the black coming from the ceiling and splice to one of the terminals of the switch. The red coming from the ceiling was connected to the other terminal of the switch. The white cables were not connected to the switch.
2) yes have a 2 wire lead AC voltage available
3) no modifications were made before just connecting the light ceiling. When connected, noticed that the light was one and unable to operate from the switch.
Apparently the fan was getting turn on automatically without pressing the remote.
Expert:  Kevin replied 8 months ago.

Thanks for the replies.

1) Since the red is being used as the switched loop conductor, at the ceiling box with the light switch in the ON position, measure for 120 volts from the ceiling red to the ceiling white and to the ceiling ground. If the red is used as the switched loop conductor, the red should toggle 120 volts when the wall switch is turned ON and 0 volts when the wall switch is OFF.

2) Repeat the same voltage measurements at the ceiling black wire, but leave the wall switch in the OFF position. Is there a constant 120 volts on the black wire?