Mike, Master Electrician
Experience:  Licensed Master Electrician - OnQ Certified Data Voice Audio Video Installer
11762411

I am an IT support worker and a few days ago when I was

Customer Question

I am an IT support worker and a few days ago when I was working on site installing equipment into a rack there was a black out. I am trying to figure out whether I caused the black out. I am uncertain if it was just my site that was affected, or the surrounding neighbourhood.
In my rack there was a modem connected to a bunch of routers, switches and an UPS. I switched off all power to the rack, except for the modem. Once I had replaced the UPS, I switched the power to rack back on. At almost exactly the same time, all power to the building went off, including the rack, computers and the lights. A staff member in the building said the switch was in full working mode and had not been affected.
I have to go back to the building tomorrow to finish my installation. I am trying to figure out whether there was any chance I caused the blackout?
Category: Electrical
Expert:  Kevin replied 11 months ago.

Hello and welcome to Just Answer. My name is ***** ***** I will be happy to assist you with your electrical question.

1) I assume that the UPS was only providing backup power to the rack and the UPS was fed from a dedicated circuit, correct?

2) Have you confirmed with any other nearby businesses if they encountered an outage during the same time period?

3) Does the building only contain one main panel or are there multiple sub-panels installed? If sub-panels are installed, does the UPS circuit originate from a sub-panel or from the main panel?

4) Does the lighting also originate from the same panel as the UPS circuit?