Kevin
Kevin, Licensed Electrician
Experience:  29 years as a Licensed Electrical Contractor in Illinois, 5 year college Electrical Instructor, Former Electrical Inspector, Diploma in Digital Electronics, Former Illinois Licensed Home Inspector
71008832

I have a 3UG73D heater had apower outage and low voltage,

Customer Question

I have a 3UG73D heater had apower outage and low voltage, now it does not work.
JA: Sometimes electrical issues that that you think will be really complicated end up being easy to fix. The Electrician I'm going to connect you with knows all the tricks and shortcuts. Tell me a bit more about what's going on so we can help you best.
Customer: It has power but does not heat up.
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Electrician should know?
Customer: Not shure
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Electrician about your situation and connect you two.
Category: Electrical
Expert:  Kevin replied 9 months ago.

Hello and welcome to Just Answer. My name is ***** ***** I will be happy to assist you with your electrical question.

1) Have you confirmed at the LINE side voltage of the heater connection (house wires) that you have 240 volts across the 2 hot house wires?

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
119 volts each leg
Expert:  Kevin replied 9 months ago.

OK, Thanks for the confirmation.

1) Each leg to ground having 119 volts is correct.

2) What about phase-to-phase voltage? Can you measure 240 volts across the 2 hot conductors?

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
did not check that
Expert:  Kevin replied 9 months ago.

1) Confirm if you have 240 volts from phase to phase. If so, then the breaker and the circuit are obviously OK.

2) If the proper voltages exist at the LINE side then the only 2 other possibilities are either a faulty T-Stat or a defective heating element or a faulty wire splice/loose termination.

3) A continuity tester or an Ohm meter can confirm if an open heating element or a defective T-Stat.

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
will try those tests
Customer: replied 9 months ago.
Must leave now for an appointment.
Expert:  Kevin replied 9 months ago.

Very good.

1) When checking for continuity and/or resistance, make sure the circuit breaker is in the OFF position and confirm that no voltage is present at the LINE side connections.

No problem, just reply back to me when you have an opportunity and we can take it from there.

Let me know what you find...........Thanks...........Kevin:)

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
kevin test for phase to phase turned out bad braker.
Expert:  Kevin replied 9 months ago.

Thanks for confirming.

Yes, that is why I requested that you always measure phase-to-phase on a 240V circuit.

If you have any additional questions, just let me know and I’ll be glad to answer them for you.

Otherwise, don’t forget to rate me before you log Off.

Thanks..............Kevin:)

Expert:  Kevin replied 9 months ago.

Thanks..............Kevin:)

Expert:  Kevin replied 9 months ago.

Thanks..............Kevin:)

Expert:  Kevin replied 9 months ago.

Thanks..............Kevin:)