Mike, Master Electrician
Experience:  Licensed Master Electrician - OnQ Certified Data Voice Audio Video Installer
11762411

I am trying to wire a fan/light in a bedroom using a

Customer Question

Hi. My name is Bill
JA: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?
Customer: I am trying to wire a fan/light in a bedroom using a universal remote control. At the fan connection, there are two hot wires - a black and a white with black tape on it. It looks like they used the ground/bare copper as the white/neutral. At the switch, there are three different wire feeds coming into the box (box has two switches). How can I wire this for only one hot/neutral/ground?
JA: OK got it. Last thing — Electricians generally expect a deposit of about $18 to help with your type of question (you only pay if satisfied). Now I'm going to take you to a page to place a secure deposit with JustAnswer. Don't worry, this chat is saved. After that, we will finish helping you.
Category: Electrical
Expert:  Eddie replied 1 year ago.

Hi Bill would you be able to upload a couple of pictures ....one of the ceiling box wires and a couple of the switchbox............don't upcap or remove anything from the switches but just move them out so I can get a good view of how it is coming into the box

Thanks

eddie

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I already disconnected all the wiring but attached a file showing the wires with labels.
There were two wall switches going to a fan+light. I’m installing a universal remote control at the fan that needs only one hot/neutral/ground. There are two hots going to fan, looks like they used ground wire as neutral and a white (hot) wire marked as black. The fan has only three wires (see photo). How do I wire the new on/off switch with the three different sets of wires to send only one hot/neutral/gound to the fan? Only one set is "hot". What type of switch should I install?
Let me know if you need more information.Thanks!
Expert:  Eddie replied 1 year ago.

Hi Bill...............at the switch we need to see which is our feed coming in so I'm sure you have a tester .......turn back on the breaker and let me know.......then we will determine which is the light and which is the switch........ I have to log off now but I will check back a little later

thanks

eddie

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I attached a picture/file that shows which of the three sets of wires is "hot". I know which set is hot.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I also used an ohmmeter to discover the wires going to the fan. Of the three sets of wires coming into the wall switch (white/black/copper ground), I know which set is hot, I know which set goes to the fan, which leaves one set that is not hot and does not go to the fan. What do I do with this set of wires since I only need the hot set for the fan universal remote? Also, what type of wall switch should I purchase for the fan (only need one on/off).
Expert:  Eddie replied 1 year ago.

Hi Bill that last wire is operating something else in the room or a nearby area........you should go around and see what else is knocked outit has to be re connected..........then you should be able to connect it the same way but are you saying you have a fan remote?.............and you want to put it on a wall switch too?.........it will work off of two switches is what you are requesting?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Please read more carefully my question. Restated: I am installing a universal fan remote control that needs only one black, one white, and one ground wire. The wiring currently present at the fan has two separate hot feeds and uses the copper ground as the neutral white wire (the white wire is marked black because it has been rendered as a feed). I wired the fan remote using the existing fan wiring, using one black as hot, the white as the neutral, the ground as the ground. At the wall, after unwrappin/disconnecting all the wires, I am left with one (1)supply set of wires )120V), one set of wires that goes to the fan (2), and another set of wires that do not ohm to the fan nor carry and sort of feed (3), which makes three separate sets of wires (three strands each). My question is how do I wire a wall switch using these three sets of wires, and what type of switch do I need? Is this understood?
Thanks
Expert:  Eddie replied 1 year ago.

maybe we should talk on the phone(###) ###-####/p>

Expert:  Eddie replied 1 year ago.

Maybe we can attack this from a different way...........I need to find out how it was working before.......... then we can establish how it is going to operate now........forget about hot and neutral at the ceiling box that is a switch wire........... don't be confused by the white wire with black tape......now......

1-) what was there previously? a light?....a fan?......a fan/light combination that worked off of the pull chains?

2-) the wall switch what did it operate on whatever ceiling fixture you had? was it two switches operating one.... a fan and two..... the light kit to it

3-) are you confused after you disconnected everything at the switch as to how it goes back?

4-) were you able to find anything else in the room or close by that has no juice now? it may even be an outlet that would operate a lamp

5-) do you have pigtail light to hook up to the ceiling box so we can see how it is operating?

please get back to me on these so we can continue

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Forgive me for be so blunt, but you are of absolutely no help to me at all. After doing some research on basic circuits, all I needed to do was to connect the switch with a black on each side, connect the white wires together, and lastly. pigtail the last black wire as it ges to another switch. It's called "tapping into a curcuit". If you would just told me this you would have saved us both a lot of time. If there were a star rating of less than one, I would give you that rating. Call you? Are you kidding me!
Expert:  Eddie replied 1 year ago.

look what I just got it .........

Hey Eddie, Just wanted to thank you for helping me. I got the new switch wired correctly and everything works. 4 Mar 2016, 7:59 PM

it was a situation even more muddled than yours and he didn't know all that much so it took a lot of persevering........but together we got it done ..........I guess there was some miscommunication on both of our parts ........sorry you feel that way