Mike, Master Electrician
Experience:  Licensed Master Electrician - OnQ Certified Data Voice Audio Video Installer
11762411

I am replacing a light switch with a honeywell timer. The

Customer Question

Hi Kevin. I am replacing a light switch with a honeywell timer. The load and line wires are easily identified, not by color, but by the way who ever did the initial installation putting three light switches on the same line. The copper ground is also visible, as is a grey line that I assumed was the neutral but the new timer switch is not indicating it is receiving power. Is is possible the grey line is not a neutral, and if not, what could it be? Thanks, ***** *****.
JA: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?
Customer: it is a 3-gang box. It is an old house (1907), so it could be strange wiring. The old light switch did not have a neutral, so it could be that.
JA: OK got it. Last thing — Electricians generally expect a deposit of about $18 to help with your type of question (you only pay if satisfied). Now I'm going to take you to a page to place a secure deposit with JustAnswer. Don't worry, this chat is saved. After that, we will finish helping you.
Category: Electrical
Expert:  Kevin replied 1 year ago.

Hello and welcome to Just Answer. My name is ***** ***** I will be happy to assist you with your electrical question.

1) Can you provide me with the model number of the Honeywell timer switch?

2) Excluding a bare copper ground wire, how many wires are terminated to the switch that you wish to replace with the timer?

3) Within the wall switch box, is there a group of white neutrals that are spliced together but not terminated to any of the wall switches?