Kevin
Kevin, Licensed Electrical Contractor
Experience:  30 years Licensed Electrical Contractor in Illinois, Adjunct College Electrical Instructor, Former Electrical Inspector, Diploma: Digital Electronics, FCC Technician License
71008832

Car t power pole in front of my house. knocked pole and

Customer Question

Car hit power pole in front of my house. knocked pole and transformer and lines down. Now my stove won't work? Could that have caused my stove. Several power strips are burnt and don't know much about a joul but they are rated for 400??? I am sure this means something to you. So about the stove & microwave?
Category: Electrical
Expert:  Kevin replied 1 year ago.

Hello and welcome to Just Answer. My name is ***** ***** I will be happy to assist you with your electrical question.

1) I recommend that you contact the local electrical utility to repair the pole & transformer if you have not already done so.

2) Power strips and/or surge suppressors are rated in Joules which is a measurement of electrical energy. Such devices are manufactured with internal electronics to provide against a power surge. Appliances such as microwave ovens and ranges do not have a "built-in" Joule rating. The higher the Joule rating on a power strip or surge suppressor, the better the protection for the plugged-in loads.

3) Yes, if the utility transformer was damaged and the attached power lines were torn off, your electrical service to the home may be totally not working or the 120 volt portion may not be working. All depends if 2 or 3 of the transformer wires were damaged and came loose. Your home has a combination of 120 and 240 volts. Electric appliances such as ranges, electric dryers, etc all require 240 volts.

4) Until the problem is repaired by the utility, I recommend that you kill power to the home by turning the main breaker in the electrical panel to the OFF position and leave it OFF until the utility corrects the problem. If the 2 hot conductors are still intact but the neutral wire was damaged at the pole, this can easily destroy any sensitive electronics such as TV's, computers, printers, etc.

Expert:  Kevin replied 1 year ago.

If you have any additional questions, just let me know and I’ll be glad to answer them for you.

Otherwise, don’t forget to rate me before you log Off.

Thanks..............Kevin:)

Expert:  Kevin replied 1 year ago.

Thanks..............Kevin:)

Expert:  Kevin replied 1 year ago.

Thanks...............Kevin:)