Kevin
Kevin, Licensed Electrician
Experience:  29 years as a Licensed Electrical Contractor in Illinois, 5 year college Electrical Instructor, Former Electrical Inspector, Diploma in Digital Electronics, Former Illinois Licensed Home Inspector
71008832

I have been asked by the buyer of my property to ground the

Customer Question

I have been asked by the buyer of my property to ground the gas pipe since there is also flexible gas pipe running to a fireplace. I have the clamp that goes on to the black gas pipe and I know that it has to be at least 6 gauge copper wire. Where does the grounding take place. Does it go to the main ground in the electrical panel or can it go someplace else?
JA: Sometimes electrical issues that that you think will be really complicated end up being easy to fix. The Electrician I'm going to connect you with knows all the tricks and shortcuts. Is there anything else important you think the Electrician should know?
Customer: house was built in 2002. No additions to any service were made.
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Electrician about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Electrical
Expert:  Kevin replied 9 months ago.

Hello and welcome to Just Answer. My name is ***** ***** I will be happy to assist you with your electrical question.

1) Per Article 250.52(B)(1) Not Permitted for Use as Grounding Electrodes within the National Electrical Code states the following:

The following systems and materials shall not be used as grounding electrodes:

(1) Metal underground gas piping systems

2) The grounding electrodes used in a residential electrical distribution system are a minimum of (1) one 8 foot exterior ground rod at the meter socket area to the main panel neutral bus bar and a grounding electrode conductor installed from the main panel neutral bus bar to the street side of a city metal water supply pipe and then jumpered back across the water meter.

3) Metal Gas piping is typically bonded at a gas hot water heater area to the water heater metal supply (hot & cold) piping based on the size of the service. One contiguous bonding jumper conductor is installed from the cold to the hot water metal supply pipes and then to the metal gas pipe that supplies the hot water heater. Metal gas pipe bonding can actually take place anywhere inside the home where the water supply pipes are metal and the gas pipe is metal. However, the most common area to bond these 3 metal pipes are at a gas hot water location.

If the service amps to the main breaker = 100 amps, then a 8 AWG copper bonding conductor is installed.

If the service amps to the main breaker = 200 amps, then a 6 AWG copper bonding conductor is installed.

4) Keep in mind that grounding and bonding are 2 different applications.

Expert:  Kevin replied 9 months ago.

If you have any additional questions, just let me know and I’ll be glad to answer them for you.

Otherwise, don’t forget to rate me before you log Off.

Thanks..............Kevin:)

Expert:  Kevin replied 9 months ago.

Thanks...............Kevin:)