Mike G.
Mike G., Master Electrician
Experience:  Proven Professional 46 years Experience
29848548

Fixing a light fixture ... ground touched black wire(fire)

Customer Question

fixing a light fixture ... ground touched black wire(fire) and flipped the breaker. TV is on same breaker and now tv won't turn on, any suggestions
Category: Electrical
Expert:  Mike G. replied 9 months ago.

Hi, I'm Mike G and I'll be assisting you. Did you reset the breaker? Is the light you were working on operational? Did you plug a lamp into the TV outlet to see if is working?

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
what happened was that a 12 year old broke the ceiling fan fixture and and turned off the light and removed the light fixture and ceiling fan and replaced with just a small light fixture... as i closed pushed the wires in to complete the work.. the ground wire curled up and touched the inside of the twist on wire connector where the live wire was.. when i turned on light switch, it flipped the breaker and now the tv which is on the wall outlet won't turn on.. the house fan, the video game console and cable box turn on.. i might have burned out the power supply from tv..
Expert:  Mike G. replied 9 months ago.

If the outlet works and the TV doesn't, you probably had a surge that did damage it. There isn't anything to do but either have it repaired or replaced.