Kevin
Kevin, Licensed Electrician
Experience:  29 years as a Licensed Electrical Contractor in Illinois, 5 year college Electrical Instructor, Former Electrical Inspector, Diploma in Digital Electronics, Former Illinois Licensed Home Inspector
71008832

My home was affected by Superstorm Sandy and I got about 3

Customer Question

My home was affected by Superstorm Sandy and I got about 3 feet of water in my house and my electrical BX cable and boxes and most outlets got hit with salt water, I heard if your electric is newer (plastic coated copper) gets hit by salt water then you don't need to change the wiring, is this true? I understand that switches and outlets need to be replaced
Category: Electrical
Expert:  Kevin replied 9 months ago.

Hello and welcome to Just Answer. My name is ***** ***** I will be happy to assist you with your electrical question.

1) Armored cable such as "BX" is not rated for wet conditions and therefore must be replaced if it came into immediate contact with water. "AC or Armored Cable" is commonly referred to as "BX" in the electrical industry.

Per Article 320.12 (Armored Cable, Type AC, Uses Not Permitted) in the National Electrical Code, here is the exact verbiage:

"Type AC cable shall not be used as follows":

(2) Damp or wet conditions

2) Yes, that is correct. Any device such as a wall switch and/or receptacle must also be replaced.

3) Refer to the attached guide published by NEMA for evaluating flooded electrical areas.

If you have any additional questions, just let me know and I’ll be glad to answer them for you.

Otherwise, don’t forget to rate me before you log Off.

Thanks...............Kevin:)

Expert:  Kevin replied 9 months ago.

Thanks...............Kevin:)

Expert:  Kevin replied 9 months ago.

Thanks...............Kevin:)