Mike G.
Mike G., Master Electrician
Experience:  Proven Professional 46 years Experience
29848548

If i want to stop using a ceiling light fixture that is

Customer Question

If i want to stop using a ceiling light fixture that is connected to a wall switch, can I take it down, tape and cap off the wires and put a plate over that ceiling opening and then a plate over the wall switch so it is not touched. Is this safe to do as long as that wall switch is covered and remains in an off position.
Category: Electrical
Expert:  Mike G. replied 9 months ago.

Hi, I'm Mike G and I'll be assisting you. Removal of an electrical fixture or device, capping the wires and putting a cover on the opening is acceptable and safe.

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
I will also just cover the wall switch will be in the off position and never be able to be touched or turned on. Does that sound right
Expert:  Mike G. replied 9 months ago.

With the wires capped and covered at the ceiling, the switch can be left as is. Nothing further necessary.