Mike G.
Mike G., Master Electrician
Experience:  Proven Professional 46 years Experience
29848548

Rob, and trying to replace regular light switches w/ Lutron

Customer Question

Rob, and trying to replace regular light switches w/ Lutron smart ones
JA: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?
Customer: I've got 2 switches that control different outdoor lights next to each other, that seem to share a hot wire between them. So one has a black, and a shared black and the other shares that black and has its own. When I replace them w/ the Lutron switches, one light will go out after about 10 seconds w/ a clicking noise.
JA: OK got it. Last thing — Electricians generally expect a deposit of about $18 to help with your type of question (you only pay if satisfied). Now I'm going to take you to a page to place a secure deposit with JustAnswer. Don't worry, this chat is saved. After that, we will finish helping you.
Customer: OK
Category: Electrical
Expert:  Mike G. replied 9 months ago.

Hi, I'm Mike G and I'll be assisting you. The shared wire should be the Line on both switches. Is that the way you have them?

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
How do I know if it's the shared wire ?If I wanted to use a single switch to control both lights, can I do that by wiring both to one switch?
Expert:  Mike G. replied 9 months ago.

Look at both switches and if there are wires on each going to a common connection, it's a shared hot wire. The other wire on the switches goes to the lights. Yes you may combine the wires to the lights and have them on one switch.