Kevin
Kevin, Licensed Electrician
Experience:  29 years as a Licensed Electrical Contractor in Illinois, 5 year college Electrical Instructor, Former Electrical Inspector, Diploma in Digital Electronics, Former Illinois Licensed Home Inspector
71008832

Installing smoke alarms and in one of the old alarms, third

Customer Question

installing smoke alarms and in one of the old alarms, third wire from the alarm (yellow) was not connected at all to the house and there is a pink wire instead of red. So for my new smoke alarm I will logically connect black to black, white to white, and red from the new alarm to the pink wire?
JA: I'll do all I can to help. Is there anything else important you think the Electrician should know?
Customer: it seemed it was not connected to the other hard-wired alarms. Maybe because we had two remodels
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Electrician about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Electrical
Expert:  Kevin replied 9 months ago.

Hello and welcome to Just Answer. My name is ***** ***** I will be happy to assist you with your electrical question.

1) Yes, splice as follows:

Alarm Black to house black

Alarm White to house white

2) Most likely, the pink wire is being used for the inter-connected wire to other hard-wired smokes in the home. I recommend that you drop a few of the other hard-wired smokes in the home and confirm if the inter-communicated wire on those alarms are also spliced to a pink wire. If so, then splice the new alarm red to the house pink.

Reply back and let me know how you make out..............Thanks.............Kevin:)

Expert:  Kevin replied 9 months ago.

If you have any additional questions, just let me know and I’ll be glad to answer them for you.

Otherwise, don’t forget to rate me before you log Off.

Thanks.................Kevin:)