Electrical Questions? Ask an Electrician Online.
Hello and welcome to Just Answer. My name is ***** ***** I will be happy to assist you with your electrical question.
1) Can you provide more details on your application? Is this a ceiling light fixture or a table or floor lamp? You mention a ceiling lamp. Only light fixtures are installed on a ceiling and not a lamp. This makes a difference in the type of wires that are used.
2) Is the light currently controlled by a wall switch? If so, what type of switch do you have....ie....a single pole or a 3-way switch?
3) How many and what are the wire colors that are terminated to the existing switch?
4) Can you provide me with the dimmer switch manufacturer name and the model number?
5) Do you have a 2 wire lead AC voltage tester or an AC voltmeter available? Non-contact type of sensors are pretty much useless since they sense voltage based on inductance. Any nearby hot wire will trigger the non-contact sensor and can easily provide a false indication. 2 wire lead testers can zoom in on each individual wire and can easily confirm which wire is a hot.