Mike, Master Electrician
Experience:  Licensed Master Electrician - OnQ Certified Data Voice Audio Video Installer
11762411

Greetings, Replacing a ceiling lamp with dimmer, trying to

Customer Question

Greetings, Replacing a ceiling lamp with dimmer, trying to figure out which wire is "hot"
JA: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?
Customer: My pen like ac sensor buzzes on both wires i see
JA: OK got it. Last thing — Electricians generally expect a deposit of about $18 to help with your type of question (you only pay if satisfied). Now I'm going to take you to a page to place a secure deposit with JustAnswer. Don't worry, this chat is saved. After that, we will finish helping you.
Category: Electrical
Expert:  Kevin replied 9 months ago.

Hello and welcome to Just Answer. My name is ***** ***** I will be happy to assist you with your electrical question.

1) Can you provide more details on your application? Is this a ceiling light fixture or a table or floor lamp? You mention a ceiling lamp. Only light fixtures are installed on a ceiling and not a lamp. This makes a difference in the type of wires that are used.

2) Is the light currently controlled by a wall switch? If so, what type of switch do you have....ie....a single pole or a 3-way switch?

3) How many and what are the wire colors that are terminated to the existing switch?

4) Can you provide me with the dimmer switch manufacturer name and the model number?

5) Do you have a 2 wire lead AC voltage tester or an AC voltmeter available? Non-contact type of sensors are pretty much useless since they sense voltage based on inductance. Any nearby hot wire will trigger the non-contact sensor and can easily provide a false indication. 2 wire lead testers can zoom in on each individual wire and can easily confirm which wire is a hot.