Kevin
Kevin, Licensed Electrician
Experience:  30 years as a Licensed Electrical Contractor in Illinois, 6 year college Electrical Instructor, Former Electrical Inspector, Diploma in Digital Electronics, Former Illinois Licensed Home Inspector
71008832

Suddenly my ceiling fan lights keep blowing out. The fan

Customer Question

Suddenly my ceiling fan lights keep blowing out. The fan works fine. It has been there for 18 years
Category: Electrical
Expert:  Kevin replied 9 months ago.

Hello and welcome to Just Answer. My name is ***** ***** I will be happy to assist you with your electrical question.

1) Do you have an AC voltmeter available to measure voltages inside the light bulb socket?

2) Is the light kit controlled by a dimmer switch or a wall ON/OFF snap switch or by pull chains or remote control?

3) What type of light bulbs? Incandescent or CFL or Halogen or LED?

4) Have you checked the light kit wire harness splices to make sure they did not come loose?

5) Are the light bulb wattage ratings within the wattage spec of the light kit?

6) Are the light bulbs rated for ceiling fans?

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
1 yes
2 on off snap switch in a line of 2 other switches
3 appliance lights
4 no it is pretty high up for me
5 yes
Customer: replied 9 months ago.
Unable to send my answers. I do not want a trial or anything. I just was willing to talk one time to an electrician about my problem .
Expert:  Kevin replied 9 months ago.

Thanks for the replies.

1) Measure for voltage inside the light bulb socket. The middle tip of the socket is the hot wire connection. The socket interior threaded portion where the bulb screws in is the neutral connection of the bulb. Measure for voltage between those 2 points. Measure from the middle hot tip to a metal ground. Also measure from the inside threaded socket portion to a metal ground. Thus there a 3 separate voltage measurements........ie..........Hot to Neutral, Hot to Ground and Neutral to Ground. Let me know the voltage measurements.

2) Turn the circuit breaker to the OFF position and check that the hot tab located in the middle of the socket is not pushed down all the way. Improper contact of the light bulb tip and the socket hot metal tab can also attribute to bulbs prematurely burning out.

3) I also recommend to drop the ceiling canopy cover plate and check the wire splices from the house conductors to the fan wiring harness.

Expert:  Kevin replied 9 months ago.

If you have any additional questions, just let me know and I’ll be glad to answer them for you.

Otherwise, don’t forget to rate me before you log Off.

Thanks...............Kevin:)